[orthodox-synod] RE:Cross on the casket NOW Funeral Arrangements

  • Bushunow, Peter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 1999
      Fathers, brothers and sisters:
      It is very important to have advance medical care directives and advance
      funeral directives, but they should NOT be part of the "last will and
      testament" that has to do with distribution of your possessions after your
      death. On your death, it may take days or weeks for the will to be approved
      by the court system.

      Advance funeral directives are legally tricky because once you die, your
      wishes regarding your own body have no legal standing. However, most
      jurisdictions will honor an advance directive, especially if it has been
      worked out with a funeral home in advance. Make sure you explicitly reject
      cremation as a form of "disposal" of your remains.

      Funeral directives should be a witnessed form, separate from your will. For
      more information see http://www.pomog.org/resources/cremation.html and
      http://www.pomog.org/resources/doctor.html

      Peter Bushunow, M.D.