[orthodox-synod] Re: Caesar

  • Robert S Miller
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 28, 1999
      ----------
      > From: Rev. John R. Shaw <vrevjrs@...>
      > To: orthodox-synod@egroups.com
      > Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Caesar
      > Date: Thursday, July 29, 1999 5:09 AM
      >
      > What I meant was that, as printed in scholarly editions, this text
      > usually has "partis" (with a long i that I can't show via e-mail), the
      > spelling in older Latin, as used by Caesar. Later Latin always uses the
      > "-es" for the plural; the genitive singular has a short "i". I only
      wrote
      > this at all, because that is the way it is printed...

      *** Yes, understood. I just didn't and don't want to get heavy
      about it. ***

      JM
    • Rev. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
        What I meant was that, as printed in scholarly editions, this text
        usually has "partis" (with a long i that I can't show via e-mail), the
        spelling in older Latin, as used by Caesar. Later Latin always uses the
        "-es" for the plural; the genitive singular has a short "i". I only wrote
        this at all, because that is the way it is printed...

        Caesar would have described this luscious apple cake as a "crustulum cum
        malis" most likely. Too bad he missed it...

      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
          May God forgive me. I always meant to be perfect! Sometimes, as I have
          recently demonstrated, I can't even spell in English, much less in Italiano
          or Deutsch.

          "Get what you deserve!" at the very bottom of Joseph's post, caused me to
          think:

          "May we NEVER get what we deserve!"

          Most of us ask mercy for ourselves, but justice for our enemies.

          May they get what they deserve! Let them fall into the pits which they have
          dug for others! Loving things like that (from the Psalms).

          Father Andrew (Andreas, Andre, Andrej, whatever)
        • Andreas ODell
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
            Father bless.

            Actually, Andreas, Andreasmou, or whatever, is... Greek!

            Andraos is the arabic rendering, and is what the Middle Easterners call
            me.

            Ma, � megliore compartire cualcuna cosa communa. ;-)

            Ancora, grazie!

            Andreas

            On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:54:59 EDT LJames6034@... writes:
            > "Andreas" isn't that Tadesco?
            >
            > Meine grossvater (X 4) Andreas Zornes wast ein "Andreas."
            >
            > I've a Russian friend, Andrej, who was educated in Germany (during
            > the
            > Stalinist era). Typically, he is referred to as "Andreas," but, he
            > explains:
            > "That's a carry-over from how the Germans changed it."
            >
            > A Jewish writer I know was teaching English at a college in
            > Florence, years
            > ago. He has written some 15 books on the Italian Renaissance. He
            > told me
            > the following story, himself.
            >
            > He said that, in one of his classes, he kept he kept pressing the
            > students
            > for a more accurate word. Then, he over-heard one of his students
            > whispering to another:
            > "Il professore e molto Tadesco."
            >
            > "The professor is very German."
            >
            > It amused him. It is as though he felt, being Jewish, he was not
            > "really"
            > German.
            > On the contrary, he was very German!
            >
            > "When the point is obscure, sometimes it is just better to smile."
            >

            > Father Andrew

            > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
            > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
            > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
            >

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

          • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999

              > Caesar would have described this luscious apple cake as a "crustulum cum
              > malis" most likely. Too bad he missed it...

              Got a recipe for it??

              Elizabeth, a sinner
              and Perennial Student

              * Personal WEB-page: *
              * http://www.mindspring.com/~ewriggs/home.htm *
              * JOY OF ALL WHO SORROW CHURCH *
              * Russian Orthodox Church Abroad *
              * 6728 Campground Road *
              * Cumming, GA 30130 *
              * http://www.avana.net/~fralexis *
              * Save, O Lord, Thy people, and bless Thine *
              * inheritance; grant Thou unto Orthodox *
              * Christians victory over enemies; and by *
              * the power of Thy Cross do Thou preserve *
              * Thy commonwealth. *
            • Rev. John R. Shaw
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
                If we were getting heavy about it, we wouldn't have invited Julius Caesar
                to Vova's nameday dinner--would we?

                Otherwise, some figure such as the Pharaoh might have to be invited on
                the next festival occasion, and then we would all have to study Coptic...

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
                  Prego.

                  Father Andrew
                • LJames6034@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
                    Father, you can't do Coptic.

                    If you do Coptic, some may fear you will become a monophysite!

                    On the other hand, Suetonius said of Caesar: "He was every woman's husband
                    and every man's wife."

                    It must have been a real nightmare when bedtime came.

                    Father Andrew
                  • Rev. John R. Shaw
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 30, 1999
                      St. Anthony the Great is said to have spoken no other language!