The "others"

  • Nikolaj
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2001
      I am not ashamed to say to you, my brother, that you
      are not able to judge concerning the faith; and even
      if you are able to, do not do so; for by this you bring
      upon yourself only sorrow and disturbance. One who
      is firm in faith, if he will speak and contend with heretics or
      unbelievers, will never be disturbed, because he has within
      himself Jesus, the Source of peace and stillness. And such a one,
      after contending peacefully, can with love bring many heretics
      and unbelievers to the knowledge of Our Saviour Jesus Christ.
      Wherefore, O brother, since the judging of other subjects
      is above your measure, then keep to the royal path, I say, the
      faith of the 318 Holy Fathers (first Ecumenical council) in
      which you were baptized: it includes within itself precisely everything
      for those who understand completely....from now on do not be concerned
      over subjects which are not assigned to you, for the Lord has taken
      all cares away from you....pray for me, O brother, that it may not be said of me:
      "Thou that teachest another, teachest thou not thyself?" (Rom.2:21)

      (St Barsaniphius)

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2001
        This quote is magnificent and exactly touches what I have tried a few
        times to say. Why should anyone listen to me, however? I'm just one guy.
        But from a Saint? Hopefully many will now take this to heart!
        Thanks so much for sending this one!

        Lev

        On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 18:24:33 +0100 "Nikolaj" <pravoslavie@...> writes:
        > I am not ashamed to say to you, my brother, that you
        > are not able to judge concerning the faith; and even
        > if you are able to, do not do so; for by this you bring
        > upon yourself only sorrow and disturbance. One who
        > is firm in faith, if he will speak and contend with heretics or
        > unbelievers, will never be disturbed, because he has within
        > himself Jesus, the Source of peace and stillness. And such a one,
        > after contending peacefully, can with love bring many heretics
        > and unbelievers to the knowledge of Our Saviour Jesus Christ.
        > Wherefore, O brother, since the judging of other subjects
        > is above your measure, then keep to the royal path, I say, the
        > faith of the 318 Holy Fathers (first Ecumenical council) in
        > which you were baptized: it includes within itself precisely
        > everything
        > for those who understand completely....from now on do not be
        > concerned
        > over subjects which are not assigned to you, for the Lord has taken
        > all cares away from you....pray for me, O brother, that it may not
        > be said of me:
        > "Thou that teachest another, teachest thou not thyself?" (Rom.2:21)
        >
        > (St Barsaniphius)

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.