[orthodox-synod] Re: Asterix

  • intrprtr@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 1999
      At 07:38 AM 7/28/99 -0400, Elizabeth W. Riggs wrote:

      >"Did you see her nose, Dogmatix?"
      >
      >Elizabeth, a sinner
      >and Perennial Student

      Well, Cyrano de Bergerac's it most certainly wasn't.... (Nor Gogol's...)
      Obelix, in fact, always thought it to be " kinda cute"
      (and so did I -- so there!...)

      Anyway, it was Plutarch, I believe -- if I remember correctly, as
      ol' Al Z. Heimer (thanks, Andreas!) is eating away at me, now --
      who first made mention of the REAL Cleopatra's nose and its
      influence on history... If it had been only a smidgeon smaller, who
      knows what might have happened....

      So, I repeat:

      >well, what can I say -- [she (Goscinny and Uderzo's Cleopatra) >was] "the
      spittin' image" [down to her]

      >(hairstyle,

      > =nose= [Yes! YeS! YES!!] -- and

      > =temper= [OY, YOY, YOY, YOY!! did she have a =temper=!!],

      >alike) of one of my college girl-friends, who just died a few
      >months ago (but not of snake-bite).... [Seriously!!]

      Anyway, if I didn't know any better, I would have sworn that
      SHE (my college girl-friend, that is) was Goscinny and Uderzo's model for
      =their= depiction of Cleopatra -- the resemblance was so uncanny!!

      -- George S.

      PS - : Here are a few more addresses:

      (for International links):

      http://lcg-www.uia.ac.be/~erikt/asterix/welcome.shtml#pages

      (for doggie "fans"):

      http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~elainecc/dogmatix/

      http://www.fab1.net/dogmatix.htm

      (WOOF!!)

      Also, those of you in Paris might be interested in taking an
      outing to the Parc Asterix. Unfortunately, its web-page is
      down, at the moment, so you might have to contact the Parks Department or
      the Tourism Bureau for information on how to
      get to it...