EARTHQUAKE UPDATE AND DAMAGE REPORT

  • rus-am_info_services@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Glory and praise be to God! Thank you for your concern and prayers.

      We are mostly all right here in the Puget Sound region. The structural
      damage is relatively minor and mostly involves the older buildings in the
      oldest part of downtown Seattle, as well as the WA State Capitol building
      dome which was shifted on its base about 3/4 inch. It has also suffered a
      crack in one of the support pillars. Many cars sitting under the older
      buildings have been demolished from debris falling onto them. Many bridges
      and overpasses have had damage, as well as some of the major traffic
      routes, so today we are having backups and difficulty getting around. I
      have read E-mails today about houses in the Tacoma, Olympia, Southend
      (Seattle) that have received structural damage; however, most of this is
      not serious with cracked walls and foundations; falling items from cases
      and cupboards; falling tiles from bathroom walls, etc. There is a lot of
      talk on the news about FEMA and earthquake insurance policies.

      There are reports that the shaking went on from 30 to 45 seconds, and many
      people were wondering (including yours truly) if this was the BIG ONE that
      has been predicted for this region.

      Below are some reports I wrote from yesterday's news, as I received it from
      our local television stations here in the Seattle area, just after the
      earthquake and also during the following hours. Today, we are being told
      there have been aftershocks; one at a magnitude of 3.4 at about 1:10 a.m.,
      and another one of a 2.7 at about 6:27 a.m. The Sea-Tac International
      Airport is very slow, as the control tower's window and structure supports
      have been significantly damaged; they are operating from a make-shift
      building. Flights in and out of Seattle are very limited. There are around
      200 injured throughout the Seattle region. Two people died from a fire,
      but it is not known if this was earthquake related, or not. There are a
      lot of cleanups going on today at the businesses in Seattle, especially
      Pioneer Square.

      Some of are feeling uneasy, irritable, uneasy; I think there is a lot of
      PTS going around. Thank you all for your prayers; we still need them.

      Alexandra

      From February 28, 2001: