"Grace operates as well through the unworthy"

  • Nikolaj
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2001
      "Grace operates as well through the unworthy, so that we are sanctified as well thought unworthy priests." Blessed Theophylact of Bulgaria

      "To God always belongs Grace, as does the Mystery, while to man, the performer of the Mystery, belongs only service. If he is good, then he is in concert with God and acts in harmony with Him; if bad, then God performs the visible form of the Mystery through him, but Himself endows it with invisible Grace.. Do not imagine that Divine Mysteries depend upon human morality and actions. They are holy because of the One to Whom they belong." (Blessed Augustine:)

      "God also acted through cattle before the Ark, when he wanted to save His people (1 Samuel 6). Could a priest's life or virtues accomplish something like that? The Gifts of God are not such that they depend upon the virtue of the priest. Everything comes from Grace. It is for the priest to open his lips, and everything is performed by God, while the priest performs the visible actions.." (Holy Hierarch John Chrysostom )

      (Parish Life
      May, 1998)

      [http://www.stjohndc.org/_private/textbot.htm%5d

      "It's later than you think....
      Hasten, therefore, to do the work of God."
      (Hieromonk Seraphim Rose)