Bishop Varnava's Letter to ROCOR's W-E Eparchy

  • intrprtr@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2001
      THE LETTER OF BISHOP VARNAVA [BARNABAS] OF CANNES
      TO THE CLERGY OF THE WESTERN-EUROPEAN EPARCHY OF ROCOR

      The Afterfeast of the Meeting of the lord
      Cannes, 7 / 20 February 2001

      To the Reverend Clergy-Fathers of the Western-European Eparchy.

      Reverend Fathers!

      I have received letters from New York, one of which is addressed to you,
      the pastors of the French vicariate.

      To my great dismay, this letter is not an official response to a single one
      of your requests or appeals, whether to the Sobor of Bishops or to the
      Synod of Bishops. It merely makes mention of the decision of the Bishops'
      Sobor of the year 2000. You know that, as the logical consequence of all
      the decisions of this Sobor, I did not sign the Sobor "Epistle," as a
      matter of principle -- in view of its total and complete break with the
      unchangeable confessional fidelity of our glorious Russian Church Abroad.

      Dear Fathers, this is not the first time that attempts have been made to
      exploit my position in the course of this present strife in the eparchy, my
      name never having been associated with the wellsprings of said
      discord. Other personages bear the responsibility for this
      dissension. Therefore, I do not consider it possible for my name to be
      used anew, for any purpose whatsoever.

      I call upon you, Reverend Fathers, to stand firm in your fidelity to Christ
      the Saviour and to His True Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.

      I remain your intercessor in prayer,

      asking your holy prayers, in return.

      + Bishop Varnava (of Cannes)

      -- GeoS

      "Communing with great Russian ... culture ..., with its eternal humaneness
      and principled values, can be but beneficial for each person in expanding
      his horizons; and in those people who are capable of thought, it will even
      tend, in the final analysis, to stimulate them toward justice and
      liberty." -- Vladimir Rudinskii

      http://www.geocities.com/kitezhgrad/