Re: [orthodox-synod]

  • V. Boitchenko
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2001
      Dear Olga!

      I do not know the whole story of Fr. Alexander but I am to some extent
      familiar with the way things are in St. Petersburg. By the way, in the case
      of murder the regional police (otdelenie militsii) would have very little to
      do anyway. By definition they are "operativnye organy" and not
      investigators. It is the district or city prosecutor's office that is in
      charge. Only the prosecutor has the authority to close the case. There has
      got to be an investigator (sledovatel' prokuratury) working on the case.
      From what you said it is obvious that the prosecutor's office is not
      interested in investigating the case. There may be several reasons for it,
      some of which are quite obvious.

      There is no surprise that the MP is not welcoming alternative jurisdictions
      on its territory and it is not surprising that the government takes the side
      of the MP. I would be very surprised if a parish that left MP would be left
      alone and the MP would just swallow the loss of a building. From what I
      understand any group of people may be registered as a religious community
      (religioznoe obyedineniye) but it is only after certain period of time they
      can be granted recognition as a religious organizations (religioznaya
      organizatsiya) that give then some legal standing. There are different ways
      and methods of implicating this distinction some of which you have
      described. Btw, from what I understand as long as the ROCA parishes in
      Russia go under the Synod of Bishops they fall under the category of foreign
      religious communities (according to the new law) and may not officially use
      the word Rossiysky or Russky in their title or be registered under such
      name. Same applies to the Roman Catholics. There are certain other things
      that foreign churches cannot do. This however would not apply to the
      "Autonomous" and others who do not have a governing body outside of the RF.

      If you look up the phone book there are actually several churches in the
      city that are listed as Istinno or Svobodnaya Pravoslavnaya Cerkov. I know
      that most of them are not in communion with us and the fact is that some are
      not in communion with anyone with just one priest serving himself at home.

      As to the canonicity of ROCA parishes in Russia, as far as I know there are
      no ROCOR bishops in Russia proper. Vl. Agafangel is in Crimea, Vl. Veniamin
      is in the Krasnodar Krai and Vl. Evtikhiy bears the title of Ishim and
      Siberia. The situation with ROCA parishes in Russia is such that they have
      excommunicated themselves from the MP and recognize the jurisdiction of the
      ROCA. The question whether there is any interference is the one that has
      been discussed on this list and the one that the Synod will have to answer:
      whether there is grace in the MP and if the MP bishops are valid. If MP
      bishops are not valid then there is no such thing as their canonical
      jurisdiction and such may be established by the ROCA. If the bishops are
      valid we'll have to face them and whatever isn't right in the MP.

      In XC,