Re: [orthodox-synod] Reply to Fr. Whiteford

  • Paul Drozdowski
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2001
      Michael~
      With all due repect to you, I am somewhat offended by your attacks on ROCOR.
      In fact, it would seem to me that in your words deploring the state of
      affairs in the Serbian Church (of which none of us, being outsiders, can
      know the total truth of), youve taken the opportunity of attacking my
      jurisdiction. It would also seem to me that you are presently in HOCNA,
      having left the ROCOR. That, sir, is your decision. But many of us are
      trying our best here to obey those who have the rule over us and are trying
      not to judge our elders. So please spare us from additional temptation here.
      And if you have a problem with Fr John Whiteford (or Fr John Shaw, for that
      matter), many of us would appreciate it if perhaps you would argue with them
      personally instead of attacking them on this list. Thank you. And please
      forgive me, a wretched sinner, if I have offended you.
      In Christ,
      reader Paul Drozdowski
      St Vladimir's Memorial Church, Jackson, NJ (ROCOR)

      >Fr. John Whiteford is trying to change the subject. A tactic often used by
      >people who try to avoid answering a question that is asked.
      >

      >A representative Bishop of the Serbian Church served with the Pope of Rome.
      >And, there is no censure by Patriarch Paul, but instead there is a blessing
      >for this vile act of betrayal of the faithful Serbian Orthodox people. This
      >is a crime first and foremost against God and against the trusting but
      >uninformed flock that is intentionally kept in the dark -- or as Archbishop
      >Mark of Berlin would have it with the faithful of ROCOR as if he desires to
      >harvest mushrooms.

    • Fr. John Whiteford
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2001
        "Michael Nikitin" writes:

        "Fr. John Whiteford is trying to change the subject. A
        tactic often used by people who try to avoid answering
        a question that is asked."

        You posted a link which defended the HOCNA schism, and
        I posted one which gives the wholes story. That was
        not to change the subject.

        You and Gleb Godin (if you are not infact one and the
        same) have probably always been in HOCNA. I have
        suspected it from your very first posts, in which you
        presented yourselves as members of the ROCA. I have
        repeated asked you both to identify the parish you
        attend, and you both have consistantly ducked that
        question. Why?

        MN: "A representative Bishop of the Serbian Church
        served with the Pope of Rome."

        Me: You do not know what he did, since the only
        articles you have sited have given no details. The
        ROCA had a representative at the Second Vatican
        Council, and yet HTM nevertheless joined the ROCA.
        Without a video tape of what occured, you have no way
        of knowing what the Serbian representative did or did
        not do while at the Vatican.

        Aside from that, if he did anything objectionable, you
        have no way of knowing whether he had prior approval
        to do so or not. And who knows what the Serbian
        Church might yet do about it, if they was in fact
        something objectionable?

        MN: "We all know that the Serbs are in ecumenism and
        the bishops of ROCOR by serving with the Serbian
        Church not only fall under the Anathema of 1983,
        but even if there has not been the Anathema of 1983
        against Ecumenism, the hierarchs of ROCOR with their
        submitting flock would be still in heresy."

        Me: Since the ROCA never broke communion with the
        Serbs, even during the time of Metropolitan Philaret,
        when the Serbs were engaged in activities that were
        objectionable, then why did not HTM fall under that
        anathema since they remained in communion with those
        who were in communion, with those who were in
        communion with "heretics"?

        =====
        * Fr. John Whiteford IC -|- XC *
        * ----|---- *
        * St. Jonah of Manchuria Orthodox Mission | *
        * Serving the Spring, Woodlands, \| *
        * and Conroe, Texas area. |\ *
        * http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/ NI | KA *

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Kiril Bart
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2001
          I wouldn't bet on it Father. Abp.Alypy has been
          seriously rebuked by Metropolitan for attending
          service with Serbian Bishops in Chicago in mid-80's
          Subdeacon Kirill
          --- "Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...>

        • frjohnwhiteford@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
            > I wouldn't bet on it Father. Abp.Alypy has been
            > seriously rebuked by Metropolitan for attending
            > service with Serbian Bishops in Chicago in mid-80's

            That was because of the other jurisdictions that participated in that
            service... not because of the presence of the Serbs.
          • rsjmil
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
              In the event that Abp Alypy may have 'sinned' by violating a
              regulation
              of ROCA fifteen years ago at least, how Christian is it to keep it
              alive like this? You can claim all the finger pointing piety you wish
              to answer for, Kiril, but you cannot convince very many of us that
              raking up someone's past, especially a Hierarch who already long ago
              repented of a lapse of judgement, shows Christian love and
              forgiveness. Surely, since you apparently feel yourself so correct
              and so Orthodox and so competent as to criticize, you are aware of
              what the Fathers say about exposing the sins of others. What is most
              clear is that you have no direct knowledge of the situation yourself
              and are relying entirely on subjective hearsay.

              Today is the Sunday of The Publican and The Pharisee. There are
              supposed to be lessons there for all of us.

              Joseph Miller

              Sponsor ---------------------~-~>

            • moserd@micron.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
                --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
                > I wouldn't bet on it Father. Abp.Alypy has been
                > seriously rebuked by Metropolitan for attending
                > service with Serbian Bishops in Chicago in mid-80's
                > Subdeacon Kirill

                Oh, please, youre going to have to do better than that. If the only
                thing you can come up with is an event in ancient history that the
                Boston crowd tried to use at their conference in Mt Holly Springs to
                "set up" then Archbishop (now Metropolitan) Vitaly and Bishop Gregory
                for being too ecumenical (yes, both Vladyka Vitaly and Gregory were
                accused of being ecumenical by the Boston folks at that time - I was
                there, I saw it, I heard it - it happened in a clergy only meeting at
                that conference - and as an outsider I must say it was a masterful act
                of political manipulation...). But if you can only beat a horse that
                was dead back in the early (not mid) 80's you must be pretty
                desperate.

                Pr David Moser
              • Rev. John R. Shaw
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
                  On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Kiril Bart wrote:

                  > I wouldn't bet on it Father. Abp.Alypy has been
                  > seriously rebuked by Metropolitan for attending
                  > service with Serbian Bishops in Chicago in mid-80's
                  > Subdeacon Kirill

                  This also is not correct. What happened was that, after the
                  Panteleimonites tried to represent Vl. Alypy's (and with him, my own)
                  attendance at that Vesper service in the Serbian church "an act of
                  ecumenism", the Metropolitan privately told Vl. Alypy that "it's safer to
                  stay away from such things". But he did not rebuke him, merely made a
                  suggestion.

                • Rev. John R. Shaw
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
                    On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 frjohnwhiteford@... wrote:

                    > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
                    > > I wouldn't bet on it Father. Abp.Alypy has been
                    > > seriously rebuked by Metropolitan for attending
                    > > service with Serbian Bishops in Chicago in mid-80's
                    >
                    > That was because of the other jurisdictions that participated in that
                    > service... not because of the presence of the Serbs.

                    Except that, as I said, there was no "rebuke", let alone a
                    "serious" or "very serious" one. The Metropolitan merely suggested to Vl.
                    Alypy (taking him to one side) that it was safer to avoid "such
                    gatherings".

                    Such is what Vl. Alypy himself told me at the time (in March of
                    1986).

                  • Rev. John R. Shaw
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
                      On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, rsjmil wrote:

                      > In the event that Abp Alypy may have 'sinned' by violating a
                      > regulation

                      There was, however, no such "regulation"--only a de-facto
                      practice.

                      > of ROCA fifteen years ago at least,
                      > raking up someone's past, especially a Hierarch who already long ago
                      > repented of a lapse of judgement,

                      Nor did I get the impression that anyone thought this was a "lapse
                      of judgment". It was simply an innocent event that the Panteleimonites
                      were "making hay" out of.

                      A couple of years before then-archimandrite Kallistos Ware was
                      made a bishop, he was present at a service in the ROCOR convent in London
                      when Vl. Vitaly visited--and Vl. Vitaly invited him to concelebrate. Fr.
                      Kallistos had to decline because his own bishop had told him not to. (I
                      heard this from Bishop Kallistos himself). For several years, Fr.
                      Kallistos had been celebrating the Divine Liturgy in the convent.

                      If this had happened during or after the Panteleimonites' schism,
                      it could equally (or even more so) have been "made hay of".

                    • Kiril Bart
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2001
                        Dear in Christ, Fr. David, I'm sorry about tone of
                        your e-mail, you probably didn't read e-mail that I've
                        been replying to. I did refer to that event as
                        illustration for attitude towards ecumenism by our
                        ierarchs after Anathema to ecumenism. In my mind it
                        proves that we weren't in communion with Serbs at that
                        time, not that we were ecumenists all way long. Am I
                        wrong?
                        Subdeacon Kirill

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 5, 2001
                          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
                          > ierarchs after Anathema to ecumenism. In my mind it
                          > proves that we weren't in communion with Serbs at that
                          > time, not that we were ecumenists all way long. Am I
                          > wrong?

                          If I were to go by the example of my ruling hierarch, Bishop Kyrill
                          of San Francisco and Western America, and his predecessor Archbishop
                          Anthony of blessed memory, I would have to say that we are now and
                          always have been in communion with the Serbs. So I guess I would
                          have to say that your conclusions are in error.

                          Pr David Moser
                        • Rev. John R. Shaw
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 5, 2001
                            On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Kiril Bart wrote:

                            > Dear in Christ, Fr. David, I'm sorry about tone of
                            > your e-mail, you probably didn't read e-mail that I've
                            > been replying to. I did refer to that event as
                            > illustration for attitude towards ecumenism by our
                            > ierarchs after Anathema to ecumenism. In my mind it
                            > proves that we weren't in communion with Serbs at that
                            > time, not that we were ecumenists all way long. Am I
                            > wrong?
                            > Subdeacon Kirill

                            There--now please don't be offended, but here it is not the "tone"
                            that tells us something, but the language. The above passage shows the
                            Slavic (except for Bulgarian/Macedonian and Czech) form of speech which
                            knows no articles--no "the" and no "a".

                            This is understandable enough for those of us who speak Russian,
                            Serbian, &c., but it also can mean that the person who reads English texts
                            with the Slavic habit of ignoring the "little words" can at times
                            seriously misunderstand something. And that can have more impact on an
                            exchange like this than one might suppose.

                            Thus for example:

                            1) The boy did not eat the egg.

                            2) The boy did not eat an egg.

                            3) The boy did not eat egg.

                            Do those all sound like the same thing? In reality, they all have
                            a different meaning. In the first sentence, there was a particular egg in
                            mind--*the* egg, the egg that had been spoken of, and who knows, it may
                            even have been a poisoned egg! The boy did not eat it, and therefore he
                            evade the poison.

                            Sentence 2: *an* egg. Here he did not eat an egg, but it is not
                            specified which one--simply that he did not include any eggs in his meal,
                            or that he did not eat any of the eggs that were before him.

                            Sentence 3: *egg*. This means that he never ate eggs at all, and
                            not just on one occasion.

                            So the difference here is as much as in Russian between "ya shol",
                            "ya poshol", and "ya khodil". On the other hand, to an English speaker
                            these three Russian forms would all be "I walked", even though one was at
                            the same time as something else that happened, one was a specific single
                            incident (and means that I also got there!) and the third means "I used to
                            go".

                            All of this points to the fact that one can read a message in
                            another language, often in haste and emotion, and misconstrue it to a
                            surpising degree.

                          • Joachim Wertz
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2001
                              I was there too. Although not privy to the "clergy only meeting", I can
                              attest to hearing the same accusations among the lay participants, also, I
                              seem to recall, from the clerical organizer.
                              Joachim Wertz

                              ----------
                              From: moserd@...
                              To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sun, Feb 4, 2001, 5:23 PM

                              --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
                              > I wouldn't bet on it Father. Abp.Alypy has been
                              > seriously rebuked by Metropolitan for attending
                              > service with Serbian Bishops in Chicago in mid-80's
                              > Subdeacon Kirill

                              Oh, please, youre going to have to do better than that. If the only
                              thing you can come up with is an event in ancient history that the
                              Boston crowd tried to use at their conference in Mt Holly Springs to
                              "set up" then Archbishop (now Metropolitan) Vitaly and Bishop Gregory
                              for being too ecumenical (yes, both Vladyka Vitaly and Gregory were
                              accused of being ecumenical by the Boston folks at that time - I was
                              there, I saw it, I heard it - it happened in a clergy only meeting at
                              that conference - and as an outsider I must say it was a masterful act
                              of political manipulation...). But if you can only beat a horse that
                              was dead back in the early (not mid) 80's you must be pretty
                              desperate.

                              Pr David Moser

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              www.