"All Orthodox Russia was shaken........"

  • Deacon Mark Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2001
      paragraph 6

      All Orthodox Russia was shaken, [by Metr. Sergius' 1927 declaration], and delegations with protests extended to Metr. Sergius from all corners of the land.

      As a member of such a delegation from the Petrograd Diocese, I too came to Moscow. In the Metropolitan's reception room forty people were waiting, and everyone of whom I asked his reason for coming replied that he had come as a delegate to see the Metropolitan. Russia had not accepted this Declaration!

      The Metropolitan received us out of order. Finding out the reason why we had come, he reaffirmed everything written in the Declaration, and in answer to our convictions called us "counter-revolutionaries" and "schismatics". Not taking his blessing, we left without obtaining anything.

      Soon the churches that did not accept the Declaration began to be closed. In Petrograd only one remained, but everyone who entered it was registered and later arrested. This was the time when the atheist Soviet power demanded of believers that they go to churches of the official Church.

      From The Catacomb Church, I. M. Andreyev