Re: [orthodox-synod] Something to look into

  • orthodixie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
      Here's an article on the use of clarifying agents (such as bull's blood) in
      wine.

      <A
      HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa101299.htm?terms=wine+clarifying+

      agent">Blood in Troubled Wines</A>

      http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa101299.htm?terms=wine+clarifying+agent

      Apparently, unless you buy Hungarian wine, yours is bull's blood free.

      Fr Joseph Huneycutt
      St Nicholas Church (ROCOR)
      Fletcher, NC
      www.stnicholasparish.org
    • moserd@micron.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Theodora" <theomtn@a...> wrote:

        > snip
        > In this article in mentions how the French have been adding (among
        other
        > things) dried bulls blood into there wines "as a clarifying
        agent." Is
        > there anyone here who
        > > understands the process of producing Port wines (which are
        blended) or the
        > other red wines we commonly use for the Altar?

        Port wine, or as it is more properly known, Oporto, is originally a
        product of Portugal - not France. Oporto gets its name from the main
        city of the region where this wine is produced. It is a wine that is
        blended with Brandy as a stabalizing agent in order for it to
        withstand shipping more easily. It became popular in England during
        the various Franco-British wars when French wine was unobtainable in
        Gr. Britain. Only Port wine produced in Portugal can be labeled by
        the proper name "Oporto". Other imitations produced in North America
        and other places not in Portugal usually carry the
        appelation "Port". One of the things to consider in purchasing Port
        wine for the altar over other wines is that although true Oporto is
        pure grape wine (Brandy being nothing more than distilled wine) other
        imitations are often sweetened to appease the Western palate. Port
        is also a "fortified" wine which is therefore higher in alcohol. The
        use of other less alcohol intensive sweet/dessert wines may be
        desireable.

        As to the use of "bull's blood" in French wine - I have no real
        knowledge - but if you are buying port, be certain that no French
        vineyard would dream of producing such a wine - it is just not good
        tradition and would be considered completely out of the question for
        a French vineyard to produce port - just as it would be out of the
        question for a Portuguese vineyard to produce a Burgundy or Bordeaux.

        For those who want a simple discussion of how various wines are made,
        drunk and their distinctive characteristics, I recommend the
        book, "Wine for Dummies". Its clear, easy to read and quite full of
        factual information (and the source of much of the above information).

        Priest David Moser
      • Kiril Bart
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
          In USSR every pharmacy did carry sweet dry bulls blood
          as a vitamin and nutrition supplement and as a treat
          for kids, who never been thought about danger of
          it(traditional Orthodox point of view).
          Subdeacon Kirill

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/