Re: [orthodox-synod] Something to look into

  • seraphim shinn
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      --- frandrew@... wrote:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1083000/1083007.stm

      > In this article in mentions how the French have been
      > adding (among other things) dried bulls blood into
      > there wines "as a clarifying agent."

      Father Bless!

      Clarifying agents are used in most wines.
      They act as a filter to remove any impurities from the
      end product.
      Added to the top of the cask, they are allowed to
      settle to the bottom, carrying impurities with them.
      Then the clarifying agent, along with the impurities,
      is removed before bottling.
      There are altar wines made for Orthodox use, you might
      seek them out.
      There is also a sweet red wine from Greece you might
      try out, it is Mavrodaphne of Patris, I doubt it has
      any suspect ingredients.
      Clarifying is done in large, high-tech wineries.
      Also I have noticed that when I finish a bottle of
      Mavrodaphne, there is always a residue in the bottom,
      which would have been removed by the clarification
      process.
      Real Port, from Portugal is also unfiltered, but
      pricy.

      Is there

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • orthodixie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
        Here's an article on the use of clarifying agents (such as bull's blood) in
        wine.

        <A
        HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa101299.htm?terms=wine+clarifying+

        agent">Blood in Troubled Wines</A>

        http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa101299.htm?terms=wine+clarifying+agent

        Apparently, unless you buy Hungarian wine, yours is bull's blood free.

        Fr Joseph Huneycutt
        St Nicholas Church (ROCOR)
        Fletcher, NC
        www.stnicholasparish.org
      • moserd@micron.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Theodora" <theomtn@a...> wrote:

          > snip
          > In this article in mentions how the French have been adding (among
          other
          > things) dried bulls blood into there wines "as a clarifying
          agent." Is
          > there anyone here who
          > > understands the process of producing Port wines (which are
          blended) or the
          > other red wines we commonly use for the Altar?

          Port wine, or as it is more properly known, Oporto, is originally a
          product of Portugal - not France. Oporto gets its name from the main
          city of the region where this wine is produced. It is a wine that is
          blended with Brandy as a stabalizing agent in order for it to
          withstand shipping more easily. It became popular in England during
          the various Franco-British wars when French wine was unobtainable in
          Gr. Britain. Only Port wine produced in Portugal can be labeled by
          the proper name "Oporto". Other imitations produced in North America
          and other places not in Portugal usually carry the
          appelation "Port". One of the things to consider in purchasing Port
          wine for the altar over other wines is that although true Oporto is
          pure grape wine (Brandy being nothing more than distilled wine) other
          imitations are often sweetened to appease the Western palate. Port
          is also a "fortified" wine which is therefore higher in alcohol. The
          use of other less alcohol intensive sweet/dessert wines may be
          desireable.

          As to the use of "bull's blood" in French wine - I have no real
          knowledge - but if you are buying port, be certain that no French
          vineyard would dream of producing such a wine - it is just not good
          tradition and would be considered completely out of the question for
          a French vineyard to produce port - just as it would be out of the
          question for a Portuguese vineyard to produce a Burgundy or Bordeaux.

          For those who want a simple discussion of how various wines are made,
          drunk and their distinctive characteristics, I recommend the
          book, "Wine for Dummies". Its clear, easy to read and quite full of
          factual information (and the source of much of the above information).

          Priest David Moser
        • Kiril Bart
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
            In USSR every pharmacy did carry sweet dry bulls blood
            as a vitamin and nutrition supplement and as a treat
            for kids, who never been thought about danger of
            it(traditional Orthodox point of view).
            Subdeacon Kirill

            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/