Bull's Blood

  • rsjmil
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      This topic somehow caught my attention, resulting in learning that Bull's Blood is a Hungarian dark red wine. It seems that Eger Castle was under siege in 1552, and the defenders fortified their courage with large quantities with this dark red wine, and since they were probably agitated, they spilled a lot. The attackers saw all the red, and thought the defender's had been drinking bull's blood. Thereafter, that name stuck. This much of it is not an urban legend, but the name of a particular kind of wine. This is indicative but not conclusive proof that there should be no anxiety about it, for church use or any other.

      Joseph M

    • achumakov@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "rsjmil" <rsjmil@w...> wrote:
        > This topic somehow caught my attention, ........... Bull's Blood is
        a Hungarian dark red wine. not conclusive proof that there should be
        no anxiety about it, for church use or any other.

        Egri Bikavier is indeed a red wine, but as I remember, it is dry and
        what will become of it once you dilute it with water is hard to tell.
        Some wines have high acidity masked by sweetness, and once you dilute
        them they become very acidic and unpleasant.
      • Father Maximos
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
          >This topic somehow caught my attention, resulting in learning that
          >Bull's Blood is a Hungarian dark red wine. It seems that Eger
          >Castle was under siege in 1552, and the defenders fortified their
          >courage with large quantities with this dark red wine, and since
          >they were probably agitated, they spilled a lot. The attackers saw
          >all the red, and thought the defender's had been drinking bull's
          >blood. Thereafter, that name stuck. This much of it is not an
          >urban legend, but the name of a particular kind of wine. This is
          >indicative but not conclusive proof that there should be no anxiety
          >about it, for church use or any other.
          >
          >Joseph M

          Dear Joseph,

          Thank you for defending the honour of my Magyar ( Hungarian)
          forebears. I was a bit concerned at the thought of them drinking
          blood ( particularly in wine). I can rest better tonight :)

          Rev.Hieromonk Maximos
          Ascension Monastery
          Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
          706-277-9442
          http://www.monastery.org

        • rsjmil
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
            Bless.

            Glad to gladden your heart. Bull's Blood is actually a blend of four
            Hungarian (Magyar) wines, with names I would forbear from trying to
            pronounce, and it's all on a Website.
            But regarding its suitability for Altar use, I have no opinion.

            Jos M