Something to look into

  • frandrew@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1083000/1083007.stm

      In this article in mentions how the French have been adding (among other things) dried bulls blood into there wines "as a clarifying agent." Is there anyone here who
      understands the process of producing Port wines (which are blended) or the other red wines we commonly use for the Altar?

      We have been fortunate enough to have a wine maker in our parish who supplies us or we have used "kosher" in between vintages. But this "practice" of the French
      certainly needs to be looked into a bit, to see how widespread it is, as it raises some concerns. Is it just a local french practise or a common one in the industry?

      It would be very helpful if anyone could shed a little light on this subject.

      Fr. Andrew
    • rsjmil
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        This is the second time I've heard this story, and I've also heard
        that it's an urban legend.
        And I've also heard that there is a kind of port called 'Bull's Blood'
        because of its dark red color.
        So somewhere in there is the truth. Finding the real authoritative
        answer might be a little difficult.

        Isn't there a Website for urban legends?

        JM

        Sponsor ---------------------~-~>
        > eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
        > Click here for more details
        -_->

      • Theodora
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
          snip
          In this article in mentions how the French have been adding (among other
          things) dried bulls blood into there wines "as a clarifying agent." Is
          there anyone here who
          > understands the process of producing Port wines (which are blended) or the
          other red wines we commonly use for the Altar?

          snip

          Bless Father. If you get any response on this could you please post. I was
          watching a program on Mad Cow disease the other night and this was mentioned
          when discussing the ban on any cattle products ...as this disease has spread
          so rapidily through Europe and South America and with the accidents occuring
          here in this country we should know of these things. There is not test for
          this disease and it's method of transfernace is not known yet. I was under
          the understanding that in this country the production of Port (Fairbanks)
          was not made this way. Anyone in Calf. know for sure???

          May God bless and keep you
          Theodora in the mountains
        • seraphim shinn
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
            --- frandrew@... wrote:

            http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1083000/1083007.stm

            > In this article in mentions how the French have been
            > adding (among other things) dried bulls blood into
            > there wines "as a clarifying agent."

            Father Bless!

            Clarifying agents are used in most wines.
            They act as a filter to remove any impurities from the
            end product.
            Added to the top of the cask, they are allowed to
            settle to the bottom, carrying impurities with them.
            Then the clarifying agent, along with the impurities,
            is removed before bottling.
            There are altar wines made for Orthodox use, you might
            seek them out.
            There is also a sweet red wine from Greece you might
            try out, it is Mavrodaphne of Patris, I doubt it has
            any suspect ingredients.
            Clarifying is done in large, high-tech wineries.
            Also I have noticed that when I finish a bottle of
            Mavrodaphne, there is always a residue in the bottom,
            which would have been removed by the clarification
            process.
            Real Port, from Portugal is also unfiltered, but
            pricy.

            Is there

            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • orthodixie@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
              Here's an article on the use of clarifying agents (such as bull's blood) in
              wine.

              <A
              HREF="http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa101299.htm?terms=wine+clarifying+

              agent">Blood in Troubled Wines</A>

              http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa101299.htm?terms=wine+clarifying+agent

              Apparently, unless you buy Hungarian wine, yours is bull's blood free.

              Fr Joseph Huneycutt
              St Nicholas Church (ROCOR)
              Fletcher, NC
              www.stnicholasparish.org
            • moserd@micron.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
                --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Theodora" <theomtn@a...> wrote:

                > snip
                > In this article in mentions how the French have been adding (among
                other
                > things) dried bulls blood into there wines "as a clarifying
                agent." Is
                > there anyone here who
                > > understands the process of producing Port wines (which are
                blended) or the
                > other red wines we commonly use for the Altar?

                Port wine, or as it is more properly known, Oporto, is originally a
                product of Portugal - not France. Oporto gets its name from the main
                city of the region where this wine is produced. It is a wine that is
                blended with Brandy as a stabalizing agent in order for it to
                withstand shipping more easily. It became popular in England during
                the various Franco-British wars when French wine was unobtainable in
                Gr. Britain. Only Port wine produced in Portugal can be labeled by
                the proper name "Oporto". Other imitations produced in North America
                and other places not in Portugal usually carry the
                appelation "Port". One of the things to consider in purchasing Port
                wine for the altar over other wines is that although true Oporto is
                pure grape wine (Brandy being nothing more than distilled wine) other
                imitations are often sweetened to appease the Western palate. Port
                is also a "fortified" wine which is therefore higher in alcohol. The
                use of other less alcohol intensive sweet/dessert wines may be
                desireable.

                As to the use of "bull's blood" in French wine - I have no real
                knowledge - but if you are buying port, be certain that no French
                vineyard would dream of producing such a wine - it is just not good
                tradition and would be considered completely out of the question for
                a French vineyard to produce port - just as it would be out of the
                question for a Portuguese vineyard to produce a Burgundy or Bordeaux.

                For those who want a simple discussion of how various wines are made,
                drunk and their distinctive characteristics, I recommend the
                book, "Wine for Dummies". Its clear, easy to read and quite full of
                factual information (and the source of much of the above information).

                Priest David Moser
              • Kiril Bart
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
                  In USSR every pharmacy did carry sweet dry bulls blood
                  as a vitamin and nutrition supplement and as a treat
                  for kids, who never been thought about danger of
                  it(traditional Orthodox point of view).
                  Subdeacon Kirill

                  a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/