Offensive Use of Orthodox Icon by Rush Limbaugh

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
      Dear Friends,

      Below my signature is a copy of a letter I sent to Rush Limbaugh
      regarding the offensive use of the Icon of Christ, Pantocrater on his
      homepage. If you have not done so already, I urge all of you to send
      similar posts to him regarding this matter.

      Yours in Christ,
      Elizabeth Riggs, a sinner
      and Perennial Student
      http://www.angelfire.com/ga/riggs/index.html
      Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR)
      Cumming, GA USA (Atlanta, GA area)
      http://www.churchabroad.org
      Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

      = = = = = = = = = =

      Dear Mr. Limbaugh,

      On your homepage (http://www.rushlimbauth.com) there is a graphic
      which is an icon of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ with a picture
      of Alan Greenspan superimposed on it. In our faith, Orthodox
      Christians take our iconography very seriously and perhaps you may
      wish to make an apology to the Orthodox Christians before this faux
      pas goes any farther.

      I have been listening to your radio program for a number of years and
      have not previously encountered disrespect from you concerning the
      religious beliefs of anyone. At this point, however, I am absolutely
      horrified and outraged by the disrespect for a sacred image which
      your permitted your webmaster to display on your website!

      While you usually are right on track with your opinions (which much
      of the time seem to parallel much of our Orthodox Beliefs) this time
      you have "goofed" - badly.

      Please take this criticism in the spirit in which it is intended and
      offer an apology to the millions of Orthodox Christians in this world
      whom you have insulted. Also, I implore you to take the offensive
      graphic off your webpage immediately.

      Thank you,
      Elizabeth Riggs, PhD
      Russian Orthodox Christian

      Member:
      Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church
      Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
      Cumming, GA USA
      (Atlanta, GA area)
      http://www.churchabroad.org
    • klandsberg@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
        Dear Elizabeth,

        I can't seem to find the graphic you are referring to on the home
        page of http://www.rushlimbaugh.com. Has it already been removed?

        BTW, thanks for taking the time to object to this type of thing.

        Katya L.

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs" <ewriggs@m...>

      • Sandra Thompson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
          I checked it out and what I saw was Greenspan superimposed on Michangelo's
          fresco of Creation of Adam which is on the Sistine Chapel. Christ the
          Pantocrator is entirely different. However, it is offensive.
          > Below my signature is a copy of a letter I sent to Rush Limbaugh
          > regarding the offensive use of the Icon of Christ, Pantocrater on his
          > homepage. If you have not done so already, I urge all of you to send
          > similar posts to him regarding this matter.
          >
          > Yours in Christ,
          > Elizabeth Riggs, a sinner
          > and Perennial Student
          > http://www.angelfire.com/ga/riggs/index.html
          > Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR)
          > Cumming, GA USA (Atlanta, GA area)
          > http://www.churchabroad.org
          > Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!
          >
          > = = = = = = = = = =
          >
          > Dear Mr. Limbaugh,
          >
          > On your homepage (http://www.rushlimbauth.com) there is a graphic
          > which is an icon of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ with a picture
          > of Alan Greenspan superimposed on it. In our faith, Orthodox
          > Christians take our iconography very seriously and perhaps you may
          > wish to make an apology to the Orthodox Christians before this faux
          > pas goes any farther.
          >
          > I have been listening to your radio program for a number of years and
          > have not previously encountered disrespect from you concerning the
          > religious beliefs of anyone. At this point, however, I am absolutely
          > horrified and outraged by the disrespect for a sacred image which
          > your permitted your webmaster to display on your website!
          >
          > While you usually are right on track with your opinions (which much
          > of the time seem to parallel much of our Orthodox Beliefs) this time
          > you have "goofed" - badly.
          >
          > Please take this criticism in the spirit in which it is intended and
          > offer an apology to the millions of Orthodox Christians in this world
          > whom you have insulted. Also, I implore you to take the offensive
          > graphic off your webpage immediately.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Elizabeth Riggs, PhD
          > Russian Orthodox Christian

          > Member:
          > Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church
          > Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
          > Cumming, GA USA
          > (Atlanta, GA area)
          > http://www.churchabroad.org

        • Sandra Thompson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
            Rush is on vacation this week. He will return on Monday, February 5th. While
            Rush is off, a roster of stellar guest hosts will sit in behind the Golden
            EIB Microphone.

            On Tuesday, Sean Hannity - co-host of Fox News Channel's Hannity & Colmes
            and the man who follows Rush on WABC in New York City - hosted the show.
            Read some of the stories that caught Sean's eye...(details)

            Starting Monday, January 29th, the EIB Network will have a new home in
            Orlando, Florida - WFLA, 540 AM. Orlando-area listeners will still find The
            Rush Limbaugh Show at 12-3 p.m., Monday through Friday. Be sure to change
            your radio presets!

            Go to the site and see
            "No False Gods
            Too many people treat Alan Greenspan like a god. Plus, audio and expert
            commentary from Rush... "
            click on (details and audio )

            You will not see an icon, but Michaelangelo's fresco of creation from the
            Sistine Chapel. Perhaps this is a change from what Elizabeth saw
            earlier?-----
          • Justin Griffing
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
              Yes. Apparently the letters they have received have led to the taking down
              of the icon. Thanks be to God!

              In Christ,
              Justin Griffing

              > Rush is on vacation this week. He will return on Monday, February 5th.
              While
              > Rush is off, a roster of stellar guest hosts will sit in behind the Golden
              > EIB Microphone.
              >
              > On Tuesday, Sean Hannity - co-host of Fox News Channel's Hannity & Colmes
              > and the man who follows Rush on WABC in New York City - hosted the show.
              > Read some of the stories that caught Sean's eye...(details)
              >

              > Starting Monday, January 29th, the EIB Network will have a new home in
              > Orlando, Florida - WFLA, 540 AM. Orlando-area listeners will still find
              The
              > Rush Limbaugh Show at 12-3 p.m., Monday through Friday. Be sure to change
              > your radio presets!
              >

              > Go to the site and see
              > "No False Gods
              > Too many people treat Alan Greenspan like a god. Plus, audio and expert
              > commentary from Rush... "
              > click on (details and audio )
              >
              > You will not see an icon, but Michaelangelo's fresco of creation from
              the
              > Sistine Chapel. Perhaps this is a change from what Elizabeth saw
              > earlier?-----

            • Deacon Mark Smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
                Yes, it is gone now, it was in the pale blue center strip, next to Jesse Jackson.
                It was an icon when I looked at it, I distinctly remember seeing the letters for "I AM" around the sides of the face as on an icon.
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                www.

              • Sandra Thompson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
                  > Yes, it is gone now, it was in the pale blue center strip, next to Jesse
                  Jackson.
                  > It was an icon when I looked at it, I distinctly remember seeing the
                  letters for "I AM" around the sides of the face as on an icon.

                  Oh, glad it is fixed.
                • seraphim shinn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
                    I just clicked on the link below, and the offensive
                    icon is still there.
                    Other's have been reporting that it is gone.
                    Maybe they have a more recent link?
                    I must confess these have been the first times I have
                    visited Mr. Limbaugh's web page.
                    I generally avoid political web sites like the
                    proverbial plague.
                    But I do catch him on radio from time-to- time.
                    It is short of amasing that Mr. Limbaugh would put
                    something like this on his site.
                    Isn't he aware of the large number of Orthodox
                    supporters he has?

                    a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Justin Griffing
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 30, 2001
                      Dear in Christ, Seraphim,

                      I ju went by and looked at the page again. I cleared my cache and looked
                      again. I see no icon and the headline no longer links to the story. Try
                      clearing your cache and looking again. Your browser could be loading an old
                      copy stored locally rather than what is actually there.

                      In Christ,
                      Justin

> [...]
                      > > website!
                      > > >
                      > > > While you usually are right on track with your
                      > > opinions (which much
                      > > > of the time seem to parallel much of our Orthodox
                      > > Beliefs) this
                      > > time
                      > > > you have "goofed" - badly.
                      > > >
                      > > > Please take this criticism in the spirit in which
                      > > it is intended
                      > > and
                      > > > offer an apology to the millions of Orthodox
                      > > Christians in this
                      > > world
                      > > > whom you have insulted. Also, I implore you to
                      > > take the offensive
                      > > > graphic off your webpage immediately.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you,
                      > > > Elizabeth Riggs, PhD
                      > > > Russian Orthodox Christian

                      > > > Member:
                      > > > Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church
                      > > > Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

                    • Andrew
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 3, 2001
                        Dear Dr Riggs,

                        Please take this in the spirit in which it was intended as I don't wish to
                        insult your integrity.

                        I did place a copy of my letter to Rush as an example to be used but, I
                        didn't expect anyone to credit the works as theirs.

                        Seems as though you sent a similar message as I sent on 01/29/01.
                        I do find it odd that your points "parallel" mine, if not in the exact
                        order.
                        Just though I'd mention it ....

                        Andrew

                        > Dear Rush,
                        >
                        > Please find attached a copy of a list message in reference of the icon you
                        > have on your web site.
                        >
                        > The icon they are referring to happens to be an icon of our Lord and
                        Savior