Re: [orthodox-synod] Digest Number 244

  • Srs. Martha & Maria
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2001
      Dear Fr. Basil,
      Can reply with certainty to your first question only. A new Patriarch of
      Jerusalem has not been elected yet. They are still in the nomination stage.
      The photograph you saw was probably of Arafat and Metropolitan Cornelius of
      the Jerusalem Patriarchate who is the locum tenens and has withdrawn his
      name as a candidate for Patriarch. The two widely known candidates are
      Metropolitan Timothy and Metropolitan Irenaus, who has represented the
      Patriarchate in Greece for the last twenty years. From what I have heard
      they hope to have a new Patriarch named before Pascha.
      In Christ,
      sr. Maria, Orthodox School of Bethany