RE: [orthodox-synod] Address

  • Fr. Gregory Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
      Fr. Leonid Mickle's post began:

      >As the moderator of this list has already underscored, the orthodox-synod
      >list consists of ROCOR members and those well-disposed toward ROCOR. One of
      >our "well-disposed friends," a person one who had already been preparing the
      >field for a schism while she was still claiming to be a part of ROCOR and
      >denying that she was a part of the Suzdal group, now presents an unambiguous
      >manifestoŠ?
      >
      >Once again, asking your forgiveness for wearying you all with my inchoate
      >musings.
      >
      >Deacon Leonid Mickle

      Far from inchoate musings. Hear, hear! I think it is high time, Fr.
      Mark, to bar such propaganda from this list, whether coming from some
      sort of 5th column within, or from schismatics and/or heretics (how
      much difference is there!) without.
      --
      --Fr. Gregory Williams

      1180 Orthodox Way
      Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

      Phone: (615) 536-5239
      FAX: (615) 536-5945
      E-mail: frgregory@...
    • Oleg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
        I did not graduate from a seminary. I did not read the decisions of the
        October Sobor with a loupa, so I may have missed something. But beyond
        saying that there are some positive moves in the MP, there was nothing there
        to indicate an impending union of ROCOR with MP.

        And I have not seen any MP rep inventorying property at my church (St.
        Sergius in San Francisco).

        The meanspirited and rebellious messages recently posted on this list (in
        the name of God's truth) disturb me much more than anything the MP has done
        lately.

        God have mercy.

        Oleg
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
          At 03:58 PM 1/10/01 -0600, you wrote:
          >Far from inchoate musings. Hear, hear! I think it is high time, Fr.
          >Mark, to bar such propaganda from this list, whether coming from some
          >sort of 5th column within, or from schismatics and/or heretics (how
          >much difference is there!) without.

          It is impossible to "bar" such propaganda preemptively.
          Without complete moderation of all postings, one can
          only act after the fact. Some contrary opinions will
          see the light of day. Is that bad? First we limit
          the ravings of Fr Elia, now Olga posts, who's next?
          Where do you suggest we draw the line? This list was
          never meant to be an official organ of an approved
          line.

          When the diversity of this list's membership was questioned,
          I asked on the clergy list for accused "enemies" of ROCA
          (present on this list) to be revealed, so that the intended
          list membership (friends and members of ROCA) could be
          maintained. No one wanted to name names, but Olga herself
          has revealed, I think, the limits of our tolerance. She's
          entered into the realm of proselytization, and outright attack
          on ROCA. I am not suggesting she is an enemy, and it is
          easy to love someone such as herself who really believes she
          is doing us a service by posting what she has posted. It's
          not really friendly however for a guest to accuse one's hosts
          of treachery, schism and apostasy.

          But then, as Fr Alexander Lebedev has said about his own
          very controversial quotations posted to the orthodox-tradition
          list, these are not her words, she is only reporting them
          without comment.

          Ouch! our ox is being gored now, and the emotional response
          is predictably like that on the tradition list in response
          to Fr Alexander and Fr John Shaw's postings. Many would say
          turnabout is fair play. I appeal however to all posters on
          all lists to discern the membership and to not intentionally
          goad the primary audience.

          There are other forums with a more general audience, where
          such information as Olga has provided would not be considered
          inappropriate. Here in the context of the synod list it
          cannot be considered anything but.

          Of course we now have to have a conversation about the
          limits of tolerance and what constitutes "propaganda" or
          "agitprop"

          Fr Leonid wrote:

          > 1) Fr. Moderator: Does this type of agitprop belong on the
          >orthodox-synod list?

          I don't believe so.

          >2) How often must we be told that the Sobor said things it did not
          >say, did things it did not do, planned a course it has not planned?

          This is just my opinion, but I think there will continue
          to be questions until there is a clearer understanding of
          what happened - and people feel safe in asking questions
          without fear of being labeled with "fifth column" or other
          such epithets.

          >3) How often is it necessary to repeat,...

          How often do we repeat the cycle of the Gospel lessons?

          4) Is it necessary to remind the intended audience of the Suzdal manifesto
          that a bit of history is being rewritten? ...

          Yes, it is necessary. That would, in fact, be a good place
          to start. It is best to leave out personal digs, and only
          act on fact.

          >5) If a unification with the TOCs is anticipated, do those TOCs include the
          >group which in violation of the canons, left ROCOR to avoid canonical
          >proceedings brought to sort out charges of sexual improprieties among their
          >clergy? Do they include those under a former ROCOR archimandrite Antony
          >Grabbe, who, in violation of the canons, fled ROCOR rather than face
          >canonical proceedings on a number of charges, and who has been advertised on
          >this list by a (former?) member of ROCOR as Archbishop of North America?
          >What "canonical status" will those who leave ROCOR find by responding to
          >this call for schism?

          These are all good questions, which may now need to be
          taken to a more appropriate forum such as:

          Orthodox-tradition@egroups.com

          but since you have raised them here, perhaps there are
          some who will now feel compelled to present answers here.

          >6)Would it be inappropriate to ask why the zealous defenders of Orthodoxy
          >who are publishing assessments critical of the ROCOR Sobor do not also
          >publish those assessments which are in support of our bishops, statements by
          >those who trust in their Hierarchs, and who do not read into the statements
          >of our Hierarchs things they have not said?

          Not inappropriate, but surely more than a little beyond
          the realm of reasonable expectations. I don't see
          partisans doing such things elsewhere. Viable lists
          allow for more than one side of an issue to be aired,
          so that balance is not lost. I'm sure no one here is
          suggesting anything more authoritarian than that here.
          Counter the propaganda, don't squash it, otherwise people
          get paranoid and find it easy to believe the worst.

          As a ROCA priest today wrote on the orthodox-tradition
          list:

          "When emotion *prevails,* truth is cast aside. [...]

          "People who are in political, religious, and economic leadership
          know very well that emotion clouds the mind, tempers resolve,
          and divides members of any society. Used "properly" emotions
          can manipulate any person, institution, or nation caught in its
          unthinking, non-logical grasp. Spiritual abuse, as found in sects
          and may be found in the followers of a "charismatic" leader, for
          example, is based on knowing the emotional make-up of the
          adherent - and then using it against him/her.

          "Some of us tend to be more emotional in nature than others
          and are, therefore, more easily led, more easily discouraged,
          more easily depressed, and more easily maneuvered into sinful
          situations, than those who are less so and who are more
          cognitive and rational in thinking.

          "We are creatures who have emotions and also reasoning powers.
          They both have their proper place in life. Reason, however, must
          supercede emotion. Reason must temper emotion.

          "It seems that in all of us reason and emotion are in a constant
          struggle. Unfortunately, emotion comes easily. To exercise reason,
          in the throes of emotion, is the struggle.

          "As we walk through life the path to the goal must be paved with
          reason."