ROAC

  • rsjmil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2001
      Heresy is such an easy epithet to hurl around. Heresy, however, is defined and definable by what we already know from all the Councils. It is very easy to hurl the epithet: it is quite another matter to show how one or another doctrine is truly heretical according to the Councils. Then the final and most essential step is to connect all those carefully defined heresies with the identifiable teaching of the group which has been plastered with the epithet. It is in no way Orthodox to make the simple assertion. It is in no way Orthodox to make only a personal declaration of a new heresy. Was this Suzdal Manifesto really posted to the Orthodox Synod List with the Love prescribed by St Paul?

      At the same time, one should thank Olga for letting us know exactly how the Synod of Valentin thinks.

      Fr Dcn Leonid Mickle points out another wrinkle: Just who all is really behind the Suzdal Manifesto? There are those who signed, but clearly there are represented the ideas of those who did not sign, Russian and otherwise. This did not appear to be only from the Russian Orthodox of Suzdal. Perhaps Olga would be willing to clarify.

      Joseph Miller

    • Olga Mitrenina
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2001
        > Fr Dcn Leonid Mickle points out another wrinkle: Just who all is
        > really behind the Suzdal Manifesto? There are those who signed,
        > but clearly there are represented the ideas of those who did not
        > sign, Russian and otherwise. This did not appear to be only from
        > the Russian Orthodox of Suzdal. Perhaps Olga would be willing to clarify.
        Dear Joseph Miller,

        Of course, not only those who live in Suzdal composed this appeal. This
        document was discussed at the 8th Congress of the clergy, monastics and
        laity, where there were presented 53 priests and a lot of parishioners from
        the whole country: from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Central Russia, Volga
        region, Far East, Yakutia, Buryatia, Orenburg, the Urals, and others, and
        also some people from Ukraine, Belarussia and Latvia.

        I apologize if I offended somebody by sending that document to this list.
        I will try to be much more taktful in the future.

        With love in Christ,
        Olga Mitrenina