RE: [orthodox-synod] Address

  • lmickle@concentric.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
      As the moderator of this list has already underscored, the orthodox-synod
      list consists of ROCOR members and those well-disposed toward ROCOR. One of
      our "well-disposed friends," a person one who had already been preparing the
      field for a schism while she was still claiming to be a part of ROCOR and
      denying that she was a part of the Suzdal group, now presents an unambiguous
      manifesto: ROCOR has been an apostate organization since at least 1994,
      with a hierarchy which is "...not ashamed crudely to violate the canons and
      wills of the Blessed First Hierarchs Metropolitans Anthony, Anastasy and
      Philaret..." ...to set upon on a "treacherous course of action," and is "...
      intending to unite with the Moscow Patriarchate...," and to "...[hurl]
      itself into the embraces of the ecumenist 'World Orthodoxy.'" Now the
      Suzdal group adds that ROCOR is neither canonical nor part of the Church,
      for it calls for the zealots of Orthodoxy to leave ROCOR and come under the
      omorphorion of the Russian Orthodox Church., so that they might "acquir[e] a
      canonical ground for their ecclesiastical existence...," "...seek communion
      with the True Orthodox Christians of all countries and peoples..." and take
      practical steps "...to establish full canonical communion with sister True
      Orthodox Local Churches...."

      Forgive me for "stirring the pot" by asking a series of questions:
      1) Fr. Moderator: Does this type of agitprop belong on the orthodox-synod
      list?
      2) How often must we be told that the Sobor said things it did not say, did
      things it did not do, planned a course it has not planned?
      3) How often is it necessary to repeat, both with respect to the
      pronouncements of the MP and our bishops' assessments -both the positive and
      the negative - of those pronouncements: Read the actual statements, and
      don't rely on the statements of those who [now overtly state] that they wish
      to rend the body of the Church.
      4) Is it necessary to remind the intended audience of the Suzdal manifesto
      that a bit of history is being rewritten? When the Suzdal group joined
      ROCOR, it seemed to think ROCOR was canonical, and was part of the Russian
      Church. I believe that it was Metropolitan Vitaly, speaking on behalf of
      the Synod of Bishops of Rocor, who subsequently declared Valentin and those
      with him to be outside the Church.
      5) If a unification with the TOCs is anticipated, do those TOCs include the
      group which in violation of the canons, left ROCOR to avoid canonical
      proceedings brought to sort out charges of sexual improprieties among their
      clergy? Do they include those under a former ROCOR archimandrite Antony
      Grabbe, who, in violation of the canons, fled ROCOR rather than face
      canonical proceedings on a number of charges, and who has been advertised on
      this list by a (former?) member of ROCOR as Archbishop of North America?
      What "canonical status" will those who leave ROCOR find by responding to
      this call for schism?
      6)Would it be inappropriate to ask why the zealous defenders of Orthodoxy
      who are publishing assessments critical of the ROCOR Sobor do not also
      publish those assessments which are in support of our bishops, statements by
      those who trust in their Hierarchs, and who do not read into the statements
      of our Hierarchs things they have not said?

      Once again, asking your forgiveness for wearying you all with my inchoate
      musings.

      Deacon Leonid Mickle

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
        Fr. Leonid Mickle's post began:

        >As the moderator of this list has already underscored, the orthodox-synod
        >list consists of ROCOR members and those well-disposed toward ROCOR. One of
        >our "well-disposed friends," a person one who had already been preparing the
        >field for a schism while she was still claiming to be a part of ROCOR and
        >denying that she was a part of the Suzdal group, now presents an unambiguous
        >manifestoŠ?
        >
        >Once again, asking your forgiveness for wearying you all with my inchoate
        >musings.
        >
        >Deacon Leonid Mickle

        Far from inchoate musings. Hear, hear! I think it is high time, Fr.
        Mark, to bar such propaganda from this list, whether coming from some
        sort of 5th column within, or from schismatics and/or heretics (how
        much difference is there!) without.
        --
        --Fr. Gregory Williams

        1180 Orthodox Way
        Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

        Phone: (615) 536-5239
        FAX: (615) 536-5945
        E-mail: frgregory@...
      • Oleg
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
          I did not graduate from a seminary. I did not read the decisions of the
          October Sobor with a loupa, so I may have missed something. But beyond
          saying that there are some positive moves in the MP, there was nothing there
          to indicate an impending union of ROCOR with MP.

          And I have not seen any MP rep inventorying property at my church (St.
          Sergius in San Francisco).

          The meanspirited and rebellious messages recently posted on this list (in
          the name of God's truth) disturb me much more than anything the MP has done
          lately.

          God have mercy.

          Oleg
> [...]
          > Grabbe, who, in violation of the canons, fled ROCOR rather than face
          > canonical proceedings on a number of charges, and who has been advertised
          on
          > this list by a (former?) member of ROCOR as Archbishop of North America?
          > What "canonical status" will those who leave ROCOR find by responding to
          > this call for schism?
          > 6)Would it be inappropriate to ask why the zealous defenders of Orthodoxy
          > who are publishing assessments critical of the ROCOR Sobor do not also
          > publish those assessments which are in support of our bishops, statements
          by
          > those who trust in their Hierarchs, and who do not read into the
          statements
          > of our Hierarchs things they have not said?
          >
          > Once again, asking your forgiveness for wearying you all with my inchoate

        • msg
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
            At 03:58 PM 1/10/01 -0600, you wrote:
            >Far from inchoate musings. Hear, hear! I think it is high time, Fr.
            >Mark, to bar such propaganda from this list, whether coming from some
            >sort of 5th column within, or from schismatics and/or heretics (how
            >much difference is there!) without.

            It is impossible to "bar" such propaganda preemptively.
            Without complete moderation of all postings, one can
            only act after the fact. Some contrary opinions will
            see the light of day. Is that bad? First we limit
            the ravings of Fr Elia, now Olga posts, who's next?
            Where do you suggest we draw the line? This list was
            never meant to be an official organ of an approved
            line.

            When the diversity of this list's membership was questioned,
            I asked on the clergy list for accused "enemies" of ROCA
            (present on this list) to be revealed, so that the intended
            list membership (friends and members of ROCA) could be
            maintained. No one wanted to name names, but Olga herself
            has revealed, I think, the limits of our tolerance. She's
            entered into the realm of proselytization, and outright attack
            on ROCA. I am not suggesting she is an enemy, and it is
            easy to love someone such as herself who really believes she
            is doing us a service by posting what she has posted. It's
            not really friendly however for a guest to accuse one's hosts
            of treachery, schism and apostasy.

            But then, as Fr Alexander Lebedev has said about his own
            very controversial quotations posted to the orthodox-tradition
            list, these are not her words, she is only reporting them
            without comment.

            Ouch! our ox is being gored now, and the emotional response
            is predictably like that on the tradition list in response
            to Fr Alexander and Fr John Shaw's postings. Many would say
            turnabout is fair play. I appeal however to all posters on
            all lists to discern the membership and to not intentionally
            goad the primary audience.

            There are other forums with a more general audience, where
            such information as Olga has provided would not be considered
            inappropriate. Here in the context of the synod list it
            cannot be considered anything but.

            Of course we now have to have a conversation about the
            limits of tolerance and what constitutes "propaganda" or
            "agitprop"

            Fr Leonid wrote:

            > 1) Fr. Moderator: Does this type of agitprop belong on the
            >orthodox-synod list?

            I don't believe so.

            >2) How often must we be told that the Sobor said things it did not
            >say, did things it did not do, planned a course it has not planned?

            This is just my opinion, but I think there will continue
            to be questions until there is a clearer understanding of
            what happened - and people feel safe in asking questions
            without fear of being labeled with "fifth column" or other
            such epithets.

            >3) How often is it necessary to repeat,...

            How often do we repeat the cycle of the Gospel lessons?

            4) Is it necessary to remind the intended audience of the Suzdal manifesto
            that a bit of history is being rewritten? ...

            Yes, it is necessary. That would, in fact, be a good place
            to start. It is best to leave out personal digs, and only
            act on fact.

            >5) If a unification with the TOCs is anticipated, do those TOCs include the
            >group which in violation of the canons, left ROCOR to avoid canonical
            >proceedings brought to sort out charges of sexual improprieties among their
            >clergy? Do they include those under a former ROCOR archimandrite Antony
            >Grabbe, who, in violation of the canons, fled ROCOR rather than face
            >canonical proceedings on a number of charges, and who has been advertised on
            >this list by a (former?) member of ROCOR as Archbishop of North America?
            >What "canonical status" will those who leave ROCOR find by responding to
            >this call for schism?

            These are all good questions, which may now need to be
            taken to a more appropriate forum such as:

            Orthodox-tradition@egroups.com

            but since you have raised them here, perhaps there are
            some who will now feel compelled to present answers here.

            >6)Would it be inappropriate to ask why the zealous defenders of Orthodoxy
            >who are publishing assessments critical of the ROCOR Sobor do not also
            >publish those assessments which are in support of our bishops, statements by
            >those who trust in their Hierarchs, and who do not read into the statements
            >of our Hierarchs things they have not said?

            Not inappropriate, but surely more than a little beyond
            the realm of reasonable expectations. I don't see
            partisans doing such things elsewhere. Viable lists
            allow for more than one side of an issue to be aired,
            so that balance is not lost. I'm sure no one here is
            suggesting anything more authoritarian than that here.
            Counter the propaganda, don't squash it, otherwise people
            get paranoid and find it easy to believe the worst.

            As a ROCA priest today wrote on the orthodox-tradition
            list:

            "When emotion *prevails,* truth is cast aside. [...]

            "People who are in political, religious, and economic leadership
            know very well that emotion clouds the mind, tempers resolve,
            and divides members of any society. Used "properly" emotions
            can manipulate any person, institution, or nation caught in its
            unthinking, non-logical grasp. Spiritual abuse, as found in sects
            and may be found in the followers of a "charismatic" leader, for
            example, is based on knowing the emotional make-up of the
            adherent - and then using it against him/her.

            "Some of us tend to be more emotional in nature than others
            and are, therefore, more easily led, more easily discouraged,
            more easily depressed, and more easily maneuvered into sinful
            situations, than those who are less so and who are more
            cognitive and rational in thinking.

            "We are creatures who have emotions and also reasoning powers.
            They both have their proper place in life. Reason, however, must
            supercede emotion. Reason must temper emotion.

            "It seems that in all of us reason and emotion are in a constant
            struggle. Unfortunately, emotion comes easily. To exercise reason,
            in the throes of emotion, is the struggle.

            "As we walk through life the path to the goal must be paved with
            reason."