RE: [orthodox-synod] Re: "A Prodigal Saint"

  • R. Lebedeva
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
      Father, bless.

      You wrote:."

      > I don't know if I got this across or not, but seeing St John's
      > struggles also helped me see my own in a different light. Even now,
      > as I write, the idea of attachment (which is a new word in this
      > telling) seems right and I will ponder that a bit more as well.
      >
      > ...end quote...
      >
      > I hope you find the book equally as helpful.

      Thank you, Father, for your impressions. I'm finding it difficult to
      put the book down.

      Perhaps there are some who will be scandalized by its content, but
      hagiographies are often not able (nor meant) to be clear about the
      internal struggles that saints face. As the author notes, certain
      views/traits of a saint may, in other times, be downplayed due to their
      "political incorrectness", and the saint cast in different roles for
      different purposes. I see more clearly how I, myself, have been guilty
      of this. Seeing this small glimpse of St. John as a *Russian* among
      other Russians, in a time of political and social turmoil, is very
      eye-opening (and edifying) for me as an American convert. I thank God
      (and St. John) that he was such a prolific---and honest---diarist.

      Please forgive my own disjointedness---I'm still digesting all of this!

      With love,
      ~~Rachael
    • nina ledkovsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
        --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, "R. Lebedeva" <rlebedeva@h...>
        wrote:

        > > What language it was written on, Russian or English?
        > > Subdeacon Kirill (ROCOR)
        >

        > It is written in English by a Russian-American historian, and
        published
        > by Penn State Press. I picked up my copy at my local university
        book
        > store.
        >
        > ~~Rachael

        The author is Nadezhda Kizenko, a daughter of Father Boris Kizenko,
        priest of the St. Vladimir Memorial Cathedral in Jackson, NJ.

        She is an extremely well-spoken and intelligent person and very nice
        too. She is also apparently an excellent teacher. My niece took a
        class (Russian history, I believe) under her at SUNY Albany and
        enjoyed it very much.