RE: [orthodox-synod] "A Prodigal Saint"

  • R. Lebedeva
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001

      > What language it was written on, Russian or English?
      > Subdeacon Kirill (ROCOR)

      It is written in English by a Russian-American historian, and published
      by Penn State Press. I picked up my copy at my local university book
      store.

      ~~Rachael
    • R. Lebedeva
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
        Father, bless.

        You wrote:."

        > I don't know if I got this across or not, but seeing St John's
        > struggles also helped me see my own in a different light. Even now,
        > as I write, the idea of attachment (which is a new word in this
        > telling) seems right and I will ponder that a bit more as well.
        >
        > ...end quote...
        >
        > I hope you find the book equally as helpful.

        Thank you, Father, for your impressions. I'm finding it difficult to
        put the book down.

        Perhaps there are some who will be scandalized by its content, but
        hagiographies are often not able (nor meant) to be clear about the
        internal struggles that saints face. As the author notes, certain
        views/traits of a saint may, in other times, be downplayed due to their
        "political incorrectness", and the saint cast in different roles for
        different purposes. I see more clearly how I, myself, have been guilty
        of this. Seeing this small glimpse of St. John as a *Russian* among
        other Russians, in a time of political and social turmoil, is very
        eye-opening (and edifying) for me as an American convert. I thank God
        (and St. John) that he was such a prolific---and honest---diarist.

        Please forgive my own disjointedness---I'm still digesting all of this!

        With love,
        ~~Rachael
      • nina ledkovsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
          --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, "R. Lebedeva" <rlebedeva@h...>
          wrote:

          > > What language it was written on, Russian or English?
          > > Subdeacon Kirill (ROCOR)
          >

          > It is written in English by a Russian-American historian, and
          published
          > by Penn State Press. I picked up my copy at my local university
          book
          > store.
          >
          > ~~Rachael

          The author is Nadezhda Kizenko, a daughter of Father Boris Kizenko,
          priest of the St. Vladimir Memorial Cathedral in Jackson, NJ.

          She is an extremely well-spoken and intelligent person and very nice
          too. She is also apparently an excellent teacher. My niece took a
          class (Russian history, I believe) under her at SUNY Albany and
          enjoyed it very much.