ROCOR's New Posture

  • Michael Nikitin
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
      That is why Alexey M. Chumakov is in the MP. If one looks at the history of
      ROCA one would see that the path they followed was one of TRUTH, HONESTY and
      LOVE. And, when mistakes were made there were attempts to correct them.

      Today one finds excuses (i.e.economia) or justifications in place of
      corrections - this seems to be the norm in ROCOR.

      Partaking of communion is essential to the One, Holy, and Apostolic Church
      of Christ (NO generic brands allowed). To offer this communion knowingly to
      confessions that espouse heretical teachings is the same as confessing the
      existance of MANY churches, and therefore, the division of One, Holy,
      Catholic, and Apostolic Church. This contradicts Christ, Who is the Truth,
      Who established the One Church!

      Soon the so-called "zealous ones" will be persecuted like in the days of
      Diocletion.
      Michael

      Alexey M. Chumakov wrote:

      --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, Joseph Digrande <paisiosj@y...>
      wrote:

      Has there been common prayer with the Monophosites? I
      do know of Arch Averky letting them use the Church at
      Holy Trinity Monastery for their LIturgy and being
      rebuked by Met. Philaret-- what about the Moscow
      Patriarchate- any common prayer?

      Depends on the definition of "common prayer". They do not
      concelebrate and do receive communion in each other's church.
      Otherwise, relations are quite warm, as generally are relations
      between Russians and Armenians - indeed, some of the pre-1917
      Armenian (and, a tiny fraction of pre-1917 roman catholic) cathedrals
      has been reopened, and MP clergy has been "guests of honor" at all
      these events. Which is only natural - at least, as natural as the
      presence of, say, an Archbishop of Canterbury in ROCA altar during
      episcopal consecrations of old. A zealous "heresy-seeker" would see
      it as a betrayal of orthodoxy. An orthodox christian will probably
      think it is within the limits of civility and does not imply shared
      confession of faith.

    • Alexey M. Chumakov
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2001
        --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, "Michael Nikitin" <mikeniki@h...>
        wrote:
        > That is why Alexey M. Chumakov is in the MP.

        Well, if I am - it is news to me. Apparently, anyone who dares to
        object to a panteleimonite or some self-styled 'catacombnik' is
        automatically counted "among the MP"?
        Wait, maybe you've meant "military police" - wrong again. Happy New
        Year anyway.

        > Soon the so-called "zealous ones" will be persecuted like in the
        days of
        > Diocletion.

        You know what, this may actually help induce people to pray and to
        love each other and God.

        There is a small parable that elder Joseph the Athonite told. If you
        would let a bee fly into a dirty and abandoned yard, you can still be
        sure that it will find some flowers and will bring back some honey.
        Her tale about what she saw in that yard would be very different from
        the tale that a fly that visited the same place would tell - a fly
        would no doubt find a heap of dung, some rotten stuff, and things
        like that. Some people are like bees, and some are like flies.

        It is easy to be shocked and offended in most pharisaical way, if we
        look into the life of modern christians and compare it to the Gospel
        ideal. It was already that way in times of St. John Chryzostomos, who
        wrote that we have extinguished the grace of the Holy Spirit back in
        the 4th century. It is, unfortunately, a common condition for every
        part of the Church, for every "jurisdiction". And I think that all of
        us should behave like bees and not like flies, and look at our own
        condition first, because we live in a rotten world, and what we seek
        is what really matters. There are many problems in the church life of
        the MP. Only a hypocrite will say that there are less problems
        elsewhere.

        If we want to improve things, we take one course of action, if we
        want to destroy "because everything is so bad" (or, because the
        reality does not fit our dreams) - the course of action will be
        different. My personal opinion is that at this time ROCA and MP can
        not possibly unite even if both wanted to. MP has nothing to gain
        from it, except more problems, while ROCA's "collective psyche" has
        separateness from the MP as one of it's deeply imbedded traits. It is
        indeed a psychological problem that can perhaps be solved only by
        time, if at all. That is, unless clergy can actually lead their
        "rational flock" - which is only possble if the second part of the
        Councilar Epistle is heard.