Re: [orthodox-synod] ???

  • Sandra Thompson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 25, 2000
      > The key to the confusion regarding Fatima and other apparitions of the
      Theotokos, as I understand it, is
      > that some people feel that the devil cannot appear as the Mother of God.
      We know that he can appear even as
      > an angel of light, but out of misplaced piety some feel this is not true
      for the Theotokos. Using this
      > logic, all apparitions of the Mother of God must then be authentic. I see
      this as an education issue for
      > the most part. If we read the lives of the saints carefully we see that
      the devil can appear in many
      > guises, even sometimes fooling people into thinking that he is the Lord
      Himself. So, if the myth that the
      > devil cannot appear as the Mother of God can be dispelled, any faith in
      apparitions of the Theotokos
      > outside the Church having any legitimacy should also
      > then be dispelled (hopefully!).

      As long as the apparition gives glory to God, what is the harm. Jesus said
      he who is for us is not against us. Also, a house divided against itself
      cannot stand. So why would the devil come in the form of the Theotokos and
      call us to worship Jesus, the son of God?