Fw: Unable to deliver your message

  • Hieromonk Elia
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 27, 2000
      Can you please tell me what I did wrong?
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
        --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, "Hieromonk Elia" <frelia@n...>
        wrote:
        > Can you please tell me what I did wrong?

        You forgot to pray and to fast?
      • Rd. Constantine Wright
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
          >From: "Alexey M. Chumakov" <achumakov@...>
          >Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fw: Unable to deliver your message
          >
          >You forgot to pray and to fast?

          How judgemental the MP-sympathizing and MP-intercommuning "love brigade" can
          get!

          With Christ's love,
          Rd. Constantine

          # Reader Constantine Wright PO Box 774, Athens, GA 30603 #
          # constantinew@... constans@... #
          # Personal Page- http://members.tripod.com/~constans_wright #
        • Joseph Digrande
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
            Doesn' the MP recognize the Monophosites as part of
            the Orthodox Church? I thought that occurred in 1970-
            I am not sure of the year though. And if so- any
            recognition of them as a Church with grace flies in
            the face of the 4-7th Councils which all condemned the
            Monophosites as rank heretics regardless of the piety
            of its lower clergy and laity. And these are the
            people Rocor considers a "Church"?
            Also have the Serbs followed in Moscow's footsteps and
            also recognized the Monophosites as a valid Orthodox
            Church? I know both the OCA and Constantinople do
            recognize them. //Joseph Digrande
            --- "Rd. Constantine Wright"

            #-----------------------------------------------------------#
            > # Joy of All Who Sorrow Eastern Orthodox Church
            > (ROCOR) #
            > # Church Web Site -
            > http://www.churchabroad.org/parish/htm #

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • Alexey M. Chumakov
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
              --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, Joseph Digrande <paisiosj@y...>
              wrote:
              > Doesn' the MP recognize the Monophosites as part of
              > the Orthodox Church? I thought that occurred in 1970-
              > I am not sure of the year though.

              No, they do not, despite having very amicable relations with
              Armenians and Copts - theological discussions with them led to no
              result at all. Recommedations of the dialogue commissions were set
              aside by the Bishop's Council of MP as "requiring further study" etc.

              > And if so- any recognition of them as a Church with grace flies in
              > the face of the 4-7th Councils which all condemned the
              > Monophosites as rank heretics regardless of the piety
              > of its lower clergy and laity.

              Monophysites are heretics. According to the Canons of Ecumenical
              Council, they are received into Orthodox Church through repentance
              and rejection of heresies - a detailed list is found in, for example,
              in the "Desk reference book..." of Bulgakov.

              > And these are the
              > people Rocor considers a "Church"?
              > Also have the Serbs followed in Moscow's footsteps and
              > also recognized the Monophosites as a valid Orthodox
              > Church? I know both the OCA and Constantinople do
              > recognize them. //Joseph Digrande

              I doubt that they do. They see monophysites as perhaps the "next
              closest thing" to Orthodox Church, but in some 1500+ years of
              dialogue with them union has not happened - and there are no
              indications that it will.

              > --- "Rd. Constantine Wright"

              > > >You forgot to pray and to fast?
              > >
              > > How judgemental the MP-sympathizing and
              > > MP-intercommuning "love brigade" can
              > > get!

              I am sorry. I was simply tired of this paranoid raving and had to
              call a spade - a spade.
            • frelia
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
                I have never met a Monophysite. They all laugh, and say we are uncanonical because all our bishops have been appointed by secular rulers for centuries. Their reasons for autonomy have nothing to do with the Nature of Christ, about which the Armenians , at least, have made endless Orthodox pronouncements until they realized that the Greeks just did not want them in "their " church. The Coptic Pope is certainly more Orthodox than the Greek Pope.
                Howevery that is totally irrelevant (if it ever was). The Armenians now are Masons, and liberal ideas like abortion , every liberal idea are found among them. But all this is a theoretical archeological study. The Greek and Russian Church are all fallen, except for a tiny few with, (I think) Archbishop Valentine. It is not the 7 Councils they have abandoned but the Gospel. It seems a fact that the Copts and South Indians still produce miracle working saints. However, they lack whatever it takes to survive contraception, smoking, hedonism in general. The Synod was the last stronghold of Traditional Christianity, except for the Matthewites (from whom I got an email today.)
                I just mailed you a fat Xmas card with pictures. I feel very low, as my own dean and friend writes that I have gone nuts, raving and scandal-mongering. I am neary mad with grief, but the facts are the facts. It is just that almost no one can believe their eyes. But it IS TRUE. The Synod has been taken over by the KGB. I can't believe I am writing that!!!
                <constantinew@...> wrote:
                > >From: "Alexey M. Chumakov" <achumakov@...>
                > >Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fw: Unable to deliver
                > your message
                > >
                > >You forgot to pray and to fast?
                >
                > How judgemental the MP-sympathizing and
                > MP-intercommuning "love brigade" can
                > get!
                >
                > With Christ's love,
                > Rd. Constantine

                > # Reader Constantine Wright PO Box 774, Athens,
                > GA 30603 #
                > # constantinew@...
                > constans@... #
                > # Personal Page-
                > http://members.tripod.com/~constans_wright #

                #-----------------------------------------------------------#
                > # Joy of All Who Sorrow Eastern Orthodox Church
                > (ROCOR) #
                > # Church Web Site -
                > http://www.churchabroad.org/parish/htm #

                http://photos.yahoo.com/

                eGroups Sponsor

              • Steve Lammert
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
                  "Rd. Constantine Wright" wrote:

                  > >From: "Alexey M. Chumakov" <achumakov@...>
                  > >Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fw: Unable to deliver your message
                  > >
                  > >You forgot to pray and to fast?
                  >
                  > How judgemental the MP-sympathizing and MP-intercommuning "love brigade" can
                  > get!

                  Alexey's response was obviously intended to be humorous.

                  Charity requires that we presume Reader Constantine's "rebuttal" was
                  also intended to be humorous.

                  Nevertheless, I don't get it.
                • The Stephens
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
                    Rd. Constantine:

                    Judgement seems to be what your "mpny egroup" site is about and it appears
                    that the "orthodox-synod egroup" is about the same thing. You judge Alexey
                    M. Chumakov as an "MP-sympathizers" and MP-intercommuning "love brigade" and
                    then you sign your "judgement" "With Christ's love".

                    I believe there's something out of order here! These remarks of yours seem
                    inconsistant with "Christ's love".

                    Regretfully,
                    Fr. Seraphim Stephens

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 28, 2000
                      Has there been common prayer with the Monophosites? I
                      do know of Arch Averky letting them use the Church at
                      Holy Trinity Monastery for their LIturgy and being
                      rebuked by Met. Philaret-- what about the Moscow
                      Patriarchate- any common prayer?
                      wrote:
                      > --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, Joseph Digrande
                      > <paisiosj@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Doesn' the MP recognize the Monophosites as part
                      > of
                      > > the Orthodox Church? I thought that occurred in
                      > 1970-
                      > > I am not sure of the year though.
                      >
                      > No, they do not, despite having very amicable
                      > relations with
                      > Armenians and Copts - theological discussions with
                      > them led to no
                      > result at all. Recommedations of the dialogue
                      > commissions were set
                      > aside by the Bishop's Council of MP as "requiring
                      > further study" etc.
                      >
                      > > And if so- any recognition of them as a Church
                      > with grace flies in
                      > > the face of the 4-7th Councils which all condemned
                      > the
                      > > Monophosites as rank heretics regardless of the
                      > piety
                      > > of its lower clergy and laity.
                      >
                      > Monophysites are heretics. According to the Canons
                      > of Ecumenical
                      > Council, they are received into Orthodox Church
                      > through repentance
                      > and rejection of heresies - a detailed list is found
                      > in, for example,
                      > in the "Desk reference book..." of Bulgakov.
                      >
                      > > And these are the
                      > > people Rocor considers a "Church"?
                      > > Also have the Serbs followed in Moscow's footsteps
                      > and
                      > > also recognized the Monophosites as a valid
                      > Orthodox
                      > > Church? I know both the OCA and Constantinople do
                      > > recognize them. //Joseph Digrande
                      >
                      > I doubt that they do. They see monophysites as
                      > perhaps the "next
                      > closest thing" to Orthodox Church, but in some 1500+
                      > years of
                      > dialogue with them union has not happened - and
                      > there are no
                      > indications that it will.
                      >
                      > > --- "Rd. Constantine Wright"

                      > > > How judgemental the MP-sympathizing and
                      > > > MP-intercommuning "love brigade" can
                      > > > get!
                      >
                      > I am sorry. I was simply tired of this paranoid
                      > raving and had to
                      > call a spade - a spade.

                      http://photos.yahoo.com/
                    • Rd. Constantine Wright
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 29, 2000
                        Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

                        >From: Joseph Digrande <paisiosj@...>
                        >Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fw: Unable to deliver your message
                        >
                        >Has there been common prayer with the Monophosites? I
                        >do know of Arch Averky letting them use the Church at
                        >Holy Trinity Monastery for their LIturgy and being
                        >rebuked by Met. Philaret-- what about the Moscow
                        >Patriarchate- any common prayer?

                        Alexy participated in the consecration of an Armenian Cathedral in St.
                        Petersburg - I posted the article to this and the Indiana List, and as well
                        I believe it is still online at the MP website.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 29, 2000
                          wrote:
                          > Has there been common prayer with the Monophosites? I
                          > do know of Arch Averky letting them use the Church at
                          > Holy Trinity Monastery for their LIturgy and being
                          > rebuked by Met. Philaret-- what about the Moscow
                          > Patriarchate- any common prayer?

                          Depends on the definition of "common prayer". They do not
                          concelebrate and do receive communion in each other's church.
                          Otherwise, relations are quite warm, as generally are relations
                          between Russians and Armenians - indeed, some of the pre-1917
                          Armenian (and, a tiny fraction of pre-1917 roman catholic) cathedrals
                          has been reopened, and MP clergy has been "guests of honor" at all
                          these events. Which is only natural - at least, as natural as the
                          presence of, say, an Archbishop of Canterbury in ROCA altar during
                          episcopal consecrations of old. A zealous "heresy-seeker" would see
                          it as a betrayal of orthodoxy. An orthodox christian will probably
                          think it is within the limits of civility and does not imply shared
                          confession of faith.
                        • Olga Mitrenina
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 30, 2000
                            > > Has there been common prayer with the Monophosites? I
                            > > do know of Arch Averky letting them use the Church at
                            > > Holy Trinity Monastery for their LIturgy and being
                            > > rebuked by Met. Philaret-- what about the Moscow
                            > > Patriarchate- any common prayer?
                            >
                            > Depends on the definition of "common prayer".

                            They serve common molebens when partiarch goes to Armenia.
                            For example the article in Armenian newspaper "Avatamk" #35-36, 1996
                            describes how partiarch Alexei and Catholicos Garegin served common molebens
                            in Armenia.

                            Olga
                          • Rev. John R. Shaw
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2001
                              On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Olga Mitrenina wrote:

                              > > > Has there been common prayer with the Monophosites?

                              > > Depends on the definition of "common prayer".
                              >
                              > They serve common molebens when partiarch goes to Armenia.
                              > For example the article in Armenian newspaper "Avatamk" #35-36, 1996
                              > describes how partiarch Alexei and Catholicos Garegin served common molebens
                              > in Armenia.

                              This claim is relatively easy to disprove.

                              Only someone not aware of the differences between the Slavonic and
                              Greek (let alone Armenian!) service books would talk of a "concelebrated
                              Moleben".

                              The Moleben is largely a form of worship that has taken shape in
                              the Slavonic tradition. There are a few Greek services known as
                              "Paraklesis", but they differ enough from Russian Molebens to make
                              concelebration hard for those not fluent in both languages and traditions.
                              The word "Moleben" is sometimes translated into English as "Te Deum
                              service", but in reality the way they have developed and come to be used
                              is so peculiarly Russian as to make a clear translation difficult.

                              I have studied the Armenian language and service books to some
                              extent--am no expert--but have seen nothing faintly resembling a "Moleben"
                              such as we are accustomed to.

                              However, a reference several years ago to Patriarch Alexy II
                              having "joined in a Moleben" turned out to be merely a translation of a
                              translation of a a translation--and if much can be *lost* in translation,
                              quite a bit can be *added* as well.

                              What appears to have been the case is that the two Patriarchs
                              simply visited the church together, (the one in question had been
                              consecrated as an Orthodox church)--and Patriarch Alexy had crossed
                              himself, or perhaps prayed to himself. (One can pray for many things!).

                              The rest was "media hype".

                            • Olga Mitrenina
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 2, 2001
                                Baref dzes, dear Father John,

                                > I have studied the Armenian language and service books to some
                                > extent--am no expert--but have seen nothing faintly resembling a "Moleben"
                                > such as we are accustomed to.

                                Patriarch-Catholicos Garegin and some other Armenian spiritual authorities
                                graduated Moscow Patriarchate seminary in Zagorsk, so they know how to serve
                                molebens:-)

                                > However, a reference several years ago to Patriarch Alexy II
                                > having "joined in a Moleben"

                                It was not "a" reference, but it was a number of loud common prayers.
                                There is an MP parish in Yereven, Khankavan, with a very good rector, Father
                                Vladimir. You can discuss it with them. Although they count ROCA to be a
                                schizm, they will probably tell you some interesting details.

                                Olga
                              • Rev. John R. Shaw
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 2, 2001
                                  On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Olga Mitrenina wrote:

                                  > Baref dzes, dear Father John,

                                  There, you see--I would have said "Parev tsez". But I started
                                  with the Western Armenian.