Re: [orthodox-synod] Anesthetizing our ROCOR Flock

  • matanna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
      In a message dated 12/2/00 8:33:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      ackerlyo@... writes:

      > We have just been told that at the Southern Mission Conference, it was said
      > that
      > we must accept autonomy from the MP, get to know them better, then wait 20
      > years
      > before joining them.

      Someone's been saying that, but priests who actually WERE there say that no,
      that was part of one remark by one priest about one way that things might
      transpire some day. Kind of different from the way it's been reported, and
      re-reported, and re-reported.

      You can look in the archives of the Synod list to see remarks by Fr. Gregory
      Williams, Fr. Joseph Honeycut and others. Be at peace, and keep us in your
      prayers.

      Matushka Ann Lardas
    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
        >We have just been told that at the Southern Mission Conference, it
        >was said that
        >we must accept autonomy from the MP, get to know them better, then
        >wait 20 years
        >before joining them.
        >
        >How could such words be uttered, not to mention such action
        >contemplated by some
        >of our ROCOR clergy and laymen!

        Such things were NOT said. Witness the horror of the "telephone
        game" phenomenon. Caveat, all those who thoughtlessly perpetrate
        rumor and hearsay.
        --
        --Fr. Gregory Williams

        1180 Orthodox Way
        Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

        Phone: (615) 536-5239
        FAX: (615) 536-5945
        E-mail: frgregory@...
      • Rd. Constantine Wright
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
          Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

          >From: "Michael Malloy" <mmalloy@...-state.edu>
          >Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Anesthetizing our ROCOR Flock
          >
          >I know (Dr.) Olga Dolskaya from her wonderful classes at
          >(Jordanville) Holy Trinity Monastery's summer music school. She is
          >well informed and I respect her greatly.

          I agree.

          With respect to Monk John's (and others') words, I have often found that
          sarcasm is the last refuge of an indefensible position...

          With Christ's love,
          Rd. Constantine

          # Reader Constantine Wright PO Box 774, Athens, GA 30603 #
          # constantinew@... constans@... #
          # Personal Page- http://members.tripod.com/~constans_wright #
          #-----------------------------------------------------------#
          # Joy of All Who Sorrow Eastern Orthodox Church (ROCOR) #
          # Church Web Site - http://www.churchabroad.org/parish/htm #

        • Fr. Stephen Fraser
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
            I also object to the flippant way in which Dr. Olga Dolskaya was addressed.

            I have known Olga for quite some time and have spoken with her many times.
            She, above all things, loves the Orthodox Faith and strives to live the Orthodox
            way of life. I know I am embarrassing her by saying these things, but this
            kind of response to her letter of concern cannot slip by without pointing out
            its lack of respect for an Orthodox Christian who, I know, could teach
            "John, monk" a few things about what is truly happening in certain areas of the
            Orthodox Church.

            In Christ,
            Fr. Stephen

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
              > We have just been told that at the Southern Mission Conference, it was said that
              > we must accept autonomy from the MP, get to know them better, then wait 20 years
              > before joining them.

              Nope. I was there. Be careful about spreading lies and innuendo.

              Priest Seraphim Holland St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, Texas, USA
              seraphim@... Ph:972/529-2754 MOBILE & VOICE MAIL 214 336-3464
              FAX: 603/908-2408 Home Address: 2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75070, USA
              WEBMASTER FOR: St Nicholas Home Page - http://www.orthodox.net
              Official ROCOR Page - http://www.rocor.org
              10 questions (many subjects) http://www.orthodox.net/questions
              Thoughts on the Sunday gospels http://www.orthodox.net/sermons
            • Michael Nikitin
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2000
                Presently, when a priest makes a negative remark about the MP, like
                Hieromonk Paisii did, right away he gets suspended. But if a positive remark
                about MP is made,like Fr.Victor Potapov did, the
                people on this list and the Bishops defend him?

                During Metr.Philaret's and Bishop Averky time, when the bishops themselves
                called MP "a harlot" for serving with pagans and different religions, we all
                knew that was so and no one got suspended.

                Has the ecclesiology changed? Most definitely!

              • Fr. Vladimir Tsurikov
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2000
                  On 12/4/00 9:15 AM, "Michael Nikitin" <mikeniki@...> wrote:

                  > Presently, when a priest makes a negative remark about the MP, like
                  > Hieromonk Paisii did, right away he gets suspended.
                  Why is it, that Fr. Paissi's well covered suspension is still, after
                  numerous clarifications being credited to his remarks, or beliefs? How come
                  such disinformation not only spreads so fast and so far, but, worse, sticks,
                  and to this day, Fr. Paissi seems to have suffered solely based on his
                  stance toward the MP?
                  Have you actually asked Fr. Paissi himself, or maybe asked the Bishop, who
                  was involved what the actual reason was? Facts seem to be ignored quiet
                  often unfortunately.
                  D. Vladimir