Re: Anesthetizing our ROCOR Flock

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
      --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, hermitage@i... wrote:
      > Dear Miz Olga,...

      > John, monk

      The above makes me very sad. I think this is at least as bad a
      scandal. People are entitled to their views, however trading insults
      via the internet is not in anyone's best interest. Shame on you,
      "John, monk". You lost credibility for anything you may have said by
      starting your message that way.

      I know (Dr.) Olga Dolskaya from her wonderful classes at
      (Jordanville) Holy Trinity Monastery's summer music school. She is
      well informed and I respect her greatly.

      Michael Malloy
      Columbus, Ohio
    • matanna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
        In a message dated 12/2/00 8:33:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        ackerlyo@... writes:

        > We have just been told that at the Southern Mission Conference, it was said
        > that
        > we must accept autonomy from the MP, get to know them better, then wait 20
        > years
        > before joining them.

        Someone's been saying that, but priests who actually WERE there say that no,
        that was part of one remark by one priest about one way that things might
        transpire some day. Kind of different from the way it's been reported, and
        re-reported, and re-reported.

        You can look in the archives of the Synod list to see remarks by Fr. Gregory
        Williams, Fr. Joseph Honeycut and others. Be at peace, and keep us in your
        prayers.

        Matushka Ann Lardas
      • Fr. Gregory Williams
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
          >We have just been told that at the Southern Mission Conference, it
          >was said that
          >we must accept autonomy from the MP, get to know them better, then
          >wait 20 years
          >before joining them.
          >
          >How could such words be uttered, not to mention such action
          >contemplated by some
          >of our ROCOR clergy and laymen!

          Such things were NOT said. Witness the horror of the "telephone
          game" phenomenon. Caveat, all those who thoughtlessly perpetrate
          rumor and hearsay.
          --
          --Fr. Gregory Williams

          1180 Orthodox Way
          Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

          Phone: (615) 536-5239
          FAX: (615) 536-5945
          E-mail: frgregory@...
        • Rd. Constantine Wright
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
            Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

            >From: "Michael Malloy" <mmalloy@...-state.edu>
            >Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Anesthetizing our ROCOR Flock
            >
            >I know (Dr.) Olga Dolskaya from her wonderful classes at
            >(Jordanville) Holy Trinity Monastery's summer music school. She is
            >well informed and I respect her greatly.

            I agree.

            With respect to Monk John's (and others') words, I have often found that
            sarcasm is the last refuge of an indefensible position...

            With Christ's love,
            Rd. Constantine

            # Reader Constantine Wright PO Box 774, Athens, GA 30603 #
            # constantinew@... constans@... #
            # Personal Page- http://members.tripod.com/~constans_wright #
            #-----------------------------------------------------------#
            # Joy of All Who Sorrow Eastern Orthodox Church (ROCOR) #
            # Church Web Site - http://www.churchabroad.org/parish/htm #

          • Fr. Stephen Fraser
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
              I also object to the flippant way in which Dr. Olga Dolskaya was addressed.

              I have known Olga for quite some time and have spoken with her many times.
              She, above all things, loves the Orthodox Faith and strives to live the Orthodox
              way of life. I know I am embarrassing her by saying these things, but this
              kind of response to her letter of concern cannot slip by without pointing out
              its lack of respect for an Orthodox Christian who, I know, could teach
              "John, monk" a few things about what is truly happening in certain areas of the
              Orthodox Church.

              In Christ,
              Fr. Stephen

              > The above makes me very sad. I think this is at least as bad a
              > scandal. People are entitled to their views, however trading insults
              > via the internet is not in anyone's best interest. Shame on you,
              > "John, monk". You lost credibility for anything you may have said by
              > starting your message that way.
              >
              > I know (Dr.) Olga Dolskaya from her wonderful classes at
              > (Jordanville) Holy Trinity Monastery's summer music school. She is
              > well informed and I respect her greatly.
              >
              > Michael Malloy
              > Columbus, Ohio

            • Priest Seraphim Holland
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2000
                > We have just been told that at the Southern Mission Conference, it was said that
                > we must accept autonomy from the MP, get to know them better, then wait 20 years
                > before joining them.

                Nope. I was there. Be careful about spreading lies and innuendo.

                Priest Seraphim Holland St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, Texas, USA
                seraphim@... Ph:972/529-2754 MOBILE & VOICE MAIL 214 336-3464
                FAX: 603/908-2408 Home Address: 2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75070, USA
                WEBMASTER FOR: St Nicholas Home Page - http://www.orthodox.net
                Official ROCOR Page - http://www.rocor.org
                10 questions (many subjects) http://www.orthodox.net/questions
                Thoughts on the Sunday gospels http://www.orthodox.net/sermons
              • Michael Nikitin
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2000
                  Presently, when a priest makes a negative remark about the MP, like
                  Hieromonk Paisii did, right away he gets suspended. But if a positive remark
                  about MP is made,like Fr.Victor Potapov did, the
                  people on this list and the Bishops defend him?

                  During Metr.Philaret's and Bishop Averky time, when the bishops themselves
                  called MP "a harlot" for serving with pagans and different religions, we all
                  knew that was so and no one got suspended.

                  Has the ecclesiology changed? Most definitely!

                • Fr. Vladimir Tsurikov
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2000
                    On 12/4/00 9:15 AM, "Michael Nikitin" <mikeniki@...> wrote:

                    > Presently, when a priest makes a negative remark about the MP, like
                    > Hieromonk Paisii did, right away he gets suspended.
                    Why is it, that Fr. Paissi's well covered suspension is still, after
                    numerous clarifications being credited to his remarks, or beliefs? How come
                    such disinformation not only spreads so fast and so far, but, worse, sticks,
                    and to this day, Fr. Paissi seems to have suffered solely based on his
                    stance toward the MP?
                    Have you actually asked Fr. Paissi himself, or maybe asked the Bishop, who
                    was involved what the actual reason was? Facts seem to be ignored quiet
                    often unfortunately.
                    D. Vladimir