What was said

  • Deacon Mark Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2000
      Well now that I seem to be sucked into this... I just called Father
      Konstantin in France and he was shocked that our good clergy have
      denied hearing Fr. Victor say his comments about autonomy. So he told me
      again....

      "Father Victor stated (right in front of the bishop) that "there is no
      way we are going to be uniting right away with them what we're going to
      do is to negotiate a deal about autonomy with them for at least twenty
      years then we will get to know them better before we join..." Also he
      made the reply when someone mentioned that the MP is uncanonical that
      "we have not had canonical bishops for the last 200 years." The Bishop
      said nothing!

      Anybody wants to confirm this with him go right ahead.

      Please post this

      Fr. Andrew

      P.S. Of course this is just personal opinion.

    • Fr. Steven Ritter
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        Actually, in the name of fairness, this is not what was said. I was
        sitting right beside Bishop Gabriel, and across from Fr. Victor. The
        question had been raised about our relations with other churches as a
        result of a possible "union" with the MP. Fr. Victor was proposing as a
        possibility that some sort of autonomy might be negotiated, even for a
        period of 20 years or so in order to "protect" us from some of the other
        lesser influences in the Orthodox world--like how all of this would wash
        with the OCA, for example. There was nothing indicated that this sort of
        deal was in the works at all, just as a hypothetical.

        As far as the comment about our not having had canonical bishops for the
        last 200 years, this was indeed said, but the quote is way out of
        context. In the discussion of various "canonical" issues, Fr. Victor was
        pointing out, that, strictly speaking, "canonical" bishops in Russia
        went out with the advent of the Synodal system forced on the Church by
        Peter the Great. Yet the Church went on, so applying the adjective
        "non-canonical" doesn't always mean what we would like it to. This
        explains why the Bishop remained silent, because strictly speaking, a
        "canonical" system was replaced by a Lutheran innovation preferred by
        Peter.

        Fr. Constantine was at the rear of the hall in regards to where the
        Bishop and Fr. Victor were seating, so I can only surmise that perhaps
        he did not hear this correctly.

        I make no comment on any of the above as positive or negative, but this
        is what was said.

        In Christ,
        Fr. Steven