Sv: [orthodox-synod] The Protocols

  • Nikolaj
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000

      "Forgiveness is better than revenge. "
      St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
      + + +

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Robert Miller <rsjmil@...>
      To: <orthodox-synod@egroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 9:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] The Protocols

      > I do not know ROCA's attitude toward these Protocols. I do know they
      > were determined to be a fraud, and to have been plagiarized from an
      > earlier book. The Protocols do have a life of their own, as this topic
      > has surfaced more than once in recent years.
      >
      > Jos M

    • R. Lebedeva
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
        Nickolaj wrote:

        > Also one must consider
        > who actually determined
        > them as "fraud" - they
        > certainly had their own
        > interests in doing so.

        From the _Encyclopedia Brittanica_

        The spurious character of the "Protocols" was first revealed in 1921 by
        Philip Graves of The Times (London), who demonstrated their striking
        resemblance to a satire on Napoleon III by the French lawyer Maurice
        Joly, published in 1864 and entitled "Dialogue aux Enfers entre
        Machiavel et Montesquieu" ("Dialogue in Hell between Machiavelli and
        Montesquieu"). Subsequent investigation, particularly by the Russian
        historian Vladimir Burtsev, revealed that the Protocols were forgeries
        compounded by officials of the Russian secret police out of the satire
        of Joly, as well as out of a fantastic novel (Biarritz) by Hermann
        Goedsche (1868) and other sources.

        Primary source:
        Philip Graves, "The End of the Protocols," Times of London, August
        16-18, 1921
      • R. Lebedeva
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
          > Nikolaj wrote:
          >
          > > Also one must consider
          > > who actually determined
          > > them as "fraud" - they
          > > certainly had their own
          > > interests in doing so.

          More info on the origin of "The Protocols" from "This Lie Will Not Die"
          by Lawrence Elliot

          The direct predecessor of the Protocols can be found in the pamphlet
          "Dialogues in Hell Between Machiavelli and Montesquieu", published by
          the non-Jewish French satirist Maurice Joly in 1864. In his "Dialogues",
          which make no mention of the Jews, Joly attacked the political ambitions
          of the emperor Napoleon III using the imagery of a diabolical plot in
          Hell. The "Dialogues" were caught by the French authorities soon after
          their publication and Joly was tried and sentenced to prison for his
          pamphlet.

          Joly's "Dialogues", while intended as a political satire, soon fell
          into the hands of a German antisemite named Hermann Goedsche writing
          under the name os Sir John Retcliffe. Goedsche was a postal clerk and a
          spy for the Prussian secret police. He had been forced to leave the
          postal work due to his part in forging evidence in the prosecution
          against the Democratic leader Benedict Waldeck in 1849. Goedsche adapted
          Joly's "Dialogues" into a mythical tale of a Jewish conspiracy as part
          of a series of novels entitled "Biarritz", which appeared in 1868. In a
          chapter called "The Jewish Cemetery in Prague and the Council of
          Representatives of the Twelve Tribes of Israel", he spins the fantasy of
          a secret centennial rabbinical conference which meets at midnight and
          whose purpose is to review the past hundred years and to make plans for
          the next century.

          Goedsche's plagiary of Joly's "Dialogues" soon found its way to Russia.
          It was translated into Russian in 1872, and a consolidation of the
          "council of representatives" under the name "Rabbi's Speech" appeared in
          Russian in 1891. These works no doubt furnished the Russian secret
          police (Okhrana) with a means with which to strengthen the position of
          Czar Nicholas II and discredit the reforms of the liberals who
          sympathized with the Jews. During the Dreyfus case of 1893-1895, agents
          of the Okhrana in Paris redacted the earlier works of Joly and Goedsche
          into a new edition which they called the "Protocols of the Elders of
          Zion". The manuscript of the Protocols was brought to Russia in 1895 and
          was printed privately in 1897.

          The Protocols did not become public until 1905, when Russia's defeat in
          the Russo-Japanese War was followed by the Revolution in the same year,
          leading to the promulgation of a constitution and institution of the
          Duma. In the wake of these events, the reactionary "Union of the Russian
          Nation" or Black Hundreds organization sought to incite popular feeling
          against the Jews, who they blamed for the Revolution and the
          Constitution. To this end they used the Protocols, which was first
          published in a public edition by the priest Sergius Nilus in 1905. The
          Protocols were part of propaganda campaign which accompanied the pogroms
          of 1905 inspired by the Okhrana. A variant text of the Protocols was
          published by George Butmi in 1906 and again in 1907. The edition of 1906
          was found among the Czar's collection, even though he had already
          recognized the work as a forgery. In his later editions, Nilus claimed
          that the Protocols had been read secretly at the First Zionist Congress
          at Basle in 1897, while Butmi in his edition wrote that they had no
          connection with the new Zionist movement, but rather were part of the
          Masonic conspiracy.
        • Nikolaj
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
            That is of course one opinion/explanation, given by
            a western source. By the way, Mr Elliots book often figures "in quota"
            at humanistic "anti-rascist" and free-mason pages.

            Please tell me then - does this not make the Synodalnyi Church
            of Russia pre-1917 (Which our ROCOR is a comtinuation of)
            part of some sort of "anti-semitic conspiracy" against the poor zionists ?
            I mean since St John of Kronstadt blessed the publishing?
            Furthermore this "fraud" should also discredit the other works of Sergei Nilus,
            since he has issued something "false" using the Orthodox Church as a cover.
            And even using the venerable Holy St John of Kronstadt?
            I believe this has never happened.
            Would it not be important once and for all then to establish the zionists
            as a poor little "repatriation-club" and nothing more, if this is the fact?

            It is interesting that the encyclopedia does of course not mention
            that the mason Kerensky in 1917 frantically tried to empty
            all libraries of copies, and to buy privately all the copies he could
            locate.
            It is also interesting that there is no mentioning of the fact, that
            the communists introduced instant death penalty for posessing
            a copy of this book - there was no mock trial or even an arrest
            - just a bullet in the neck.

          • Nikolaj
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
              "always the contrarian"

              Thank you for that one Michael......:-)
              Me too....

              Yes definitely there are too
              many identical aspects between
              the Protocols and for example
              the New World Order idea,
              to simply dismiss them..

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
                Michael wrote:

                > > A thought: an inauthenticity is not the same as
                > > falsity. In other words, if the Protocols are proven
                > > (sic) to be inauthentic as to authorship or origin,
                > > this then in no way has any bearing on their
                > > truthfulness or lack thereof.
                > >
                > > All one needs to do is simply compare the ideals
                > > listed in the Protocols with world history since their
                > > writing in order to see basic accuracy of many of the
                > > particular Protocols.

                Personally, having read them, I think that "The Protocols" are a bit
                like "astrological signs", Michael. You can always find aspects of an
                individual's personality that fit a given "sign". That doesn't make
                astrology true, however. ;-)

                ~~Rachael, supposedly a "typical Aquarius"
              • Rachael Lebedeva
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
                  --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, "Nikolaj" <pravoslavie@m...> wrote:

                  > Yes definitely there are too
                  > many identical aspects between
                  > the Protocols and for example
                  > the New World Order idea,
                  > to simply dismiss them..

                  Well, Tsar Nicholas II dismissed them as a forgery---there is
                  personal correspondence from him (in the original English) commenting
                  on them. <shrug>
                • Nikolaj
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
                    And Tsarmartyr Nikolaj read them again
                    while a prisoner in Sibiria....and is supposed to have said
                    they were "indeed timely reading" (Also from an original source - the diary of the Tsaritsa martyr)

                    In Christ
                    Nikolaj

                    "Forgiveness is better than revenge. "
                    St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
                    + + +

                    > Well, Tsar Nicholas II dismissed them as a forgery---there is
                    > personal correspondence from him (in the original English) commenting
                    > on them. <shrug>

                  • R. Lebedeva
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000

                      "The Protocols" were included in the *appendix* of a volume (published
                      by Nilus) that were found among the royal family's personal effects. The
                      book "The Big in the Small, and Antichrist as a Near Political
                      Possibility; Notes of an Orthodox Person" were composed of several
                      essays and articles. Are you *certain* that it was the Protocols
                      themselves that were considered timely by St. Alexandra, or one of the
                      many other works in the volume? After all, her own husband considered
                      the Protocols a forgery---and surely he knew enough French to have
                      possibly read the original work.

                      Hello, Michael! :-) And thank you so much! We missed you!

                      "The Protocols" were based upon a work that attacked the beliefs of
                      **The Enlightenment**---not a work of Jews seeking to undermine the
                      world. Believe it if you will, but this "worldwide Jewish conspiracy"
                      has been bandied about for centuries. And I haven't even gone into the
                      Renaissance and Medieval-period "Jewish scares". They, like every other
                      conspiracy theory, have exactly the same elements (regardless of the
                      alleged conspirators). I'm just not convinced. I believe more in the
                      universal nature of human greed, fear, and hatred (and
                      repentance/redemption), than spending time seeking to find it in any
                      particular culture or "race".

                      Love you, Michael!

                      ~~Rachael
                    • Nikolaj
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
                        Dear in Christ Michael

                        Why do you say "no success"?
                        The Protocols state clealry that they
                        want to eliminate Orthodox
                        Autocracy - they certainly did..!
                        - and the New World Order plot
                        creeping all over the world nowadays
                        is also fairly succesful.
                        Actually it is not possible to see who should stop NWO?

                        If you give it a thought, and suppose they
                        are real - would these "world-zionists"
                        not have made up a new Protocol
                        after the old one were discovered?
                        A new and far more sinister one?
                        And take much more care that this
                        new Protocol is not discovered?

                        "> But enough about that ... let's move on to a more
                        > positive topic, shall we?"

                        Yeah - like MP bashing....at least we
                        have a real visible "enemy" there!!!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
                          The New World Order is not "racial"
                          neither is the freemasons world wide web around
                          politicians and finance....!
                          The "racist" theory is mainly promoted
                          by freethinkers and humanists.

                          The Diary of Tsaritsa Martyr Alexandra

                          Tobolsk 26th March/8 April 1918:
                          "8:00. Nicholas read to us. (Protocols
                          of the freemasons.) -

                          Diary of Tsarmartyr Nikolaj

                          27th March/ 9th April. 1918.
                          "Yesterday I started to read aloud
                          Nilus' book on the Antichrist, to
                          which has been added the "protocols"
                          of the Jews and the Masons - very
                          timely reading matter."

                          So you see that Tsarmartyr Nikolaj
                          did not consider them a forgery!
                          It is very likely that his letters as
                          of earlier have been forged by "historians"
                          to fit into a campaign against the Protocols.

                          Today the Protocols are issued in a seperate
                          volume called "Bliz est pri Dverokh"
                          which is vol. 2 to "Velikoe v malom"

                          "Bliz est pri Dverokh" hass interestingly enough
                          never been attacked by humanists and democrats
                          for being a "fraud", though it actually is much more
                          outspoken and full of detailed information about
                          the masons.
                          Of course it was enver translated into english, and
                          it has always primarily been from the english speaking
                          world that the critiscism of the Protocols came.

                          In Christ
                          Nikolaj.

                          "Forgiveness is better than revenge. "
                          St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
                          + + +

                          > > while a prisoner in Sibiria....and is supposed to have said
                          > > they were "indeed timely reading" (Also from an original
                          > > source - the diary of the Tsaritsa martyr)
                          >
                          > "The Protocols" were included in the *appendix* of a volume (published
                          > by Nilus) that were found among the royal family's personal effects. The
                          > book "The Big in the Small, and Antichrist as a Near Political
                          > Possibility; Notes of an Orthodox Person" were composed of several
                          > essays and articles. Are you *certain* that it was the Protocols
                          > themselves that were considered timely by St. Alexandra, or one of the
                          > many other works in the volume? After all, her own husband considered
                          > the Protocols a forgery---and surely he knew enough French to have
                          > possibly read the original work.
                          >
                          > Hello, Michael! :-) And thank you so much! We missed you!
                          >
                          > "The Protocols" were based upon a work that attacked the beliefs of
                          > **The Enlightenment**---not a work of Jews seeking to undermine the
                          > world. Believe it if you will, but this "worldwide Jewish conspiracy"
                          > has been bandied about for centuries. And I haven't even gone into the
                          > Renaissance and Medieval-period "Jewish scares". They, like every other
                          > conspiracy theory, have exactly the same elements (regardless of the
                          > alleged conspirators). I'm just not convinced. I believe more in the
                          > universal nature of human greed, fear, and hatred (and
                          > repentance/redemption), than spending time seeking to find it in any
                          > particular culture or "race".
                          >
                          > Love you, Michael!
                          >
                          > ~~Rachael

                        • R. Lebedeva
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 30, 2000

                            I guess MY question during all of this has been: why do you *want* to
                            believe in The Protocols so very badly? I've made it very clear why I
                            don't. Why do *you*?

                            ~~Rachael
                          • Nikolaj
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 1, 2000
                              I see it happening around me,
                              that is why I am interested...
                              Personally I would prefer an Orthodox world.
                              This is not the case however.

                              When I posted my first comment, I asked
                              some questions, which no one obviously dared to answer
                              - I never promoted the "protocols" in any way..

                              In Christ
                              Nikolaj

                              "Acquire the spirit of peace and a
                              thousand souls around you will be saved."
                              -- St. Seraphim of Sarov