Masonry and Christianity

  • ambrós
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2000
      Masonry and Christianity
      ___________________

      Dear Nikolai, I forget where I found this small article - not an
      Orthodox source, but I once found it quite useful as a starting point to
      refute the compatibility of Masonry and Christianity. Each section
      starts with quotes from Masonic authorities, and is concluded by quotes
      from Scripture. When you put them side by side like this, the two are
      clearly seen as incompatible.
      Father Ambrose
      --------------------------------

      JESUS CHRIST
      Masonry: "In his private petitions a man may petition God or
      Jehovah, Allah or Buddha, Mohammed or Jesus; he may call upon the God of
      Israel or the First Great Cause. In the Masonic Lodge he hears petition
      to the Great Architect of the Universe, finding his own deity under that
      name. A hundred paths may wind upward around a mountain; at the top they
      meet."
      (Carl H. Claudy, "Introduction to Freemasonry." p. 38)

      Christianity: Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and
      the Life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me. (Jn.14:6) Neither is
      there salvation in any other: for there is none other name {but Jesus}
      under eaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. (Acts 4:12)

      ---------------------------

      GOD
      Masonry: "...Since every man's conception of God must be
      proportioned to his mental cultivation, and intellectual powers, and
      moral excellence. God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of
      man himself. (Albert Pike, "Morals and Dogma," 14th Degree, p. 234) "The
      only personal God Freemasonry accepts is humanity in toto...Humanity
      therefore is the only personal God that there is." (J.D. Buck, "Mystic
      Masonry," p. 216) "The Absolute is Reason. Reason IS, by means of
      itself. It IS because IT IS...If God IS, HE IS by Reason." (Albert Pike,
      "Morals and Dogma," 28th Degree. p.737)

      Christianity: In the Beginning God created the heaven and the
      earth. (Gen. 1:1) For there are three that bear record in Heaven, the
      Father, the Word {Jesus}, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
      (I Jn. 5:7) God said undo Moses, I AM THAT I AM... (Ex. 3:14)

      ------------------------------

      THE HOLY BIBLE
      Masonry: "...the literal meaning (of the Bible) is for the
      vulgar only." (Albert Pike, "Digest of Morals and Dogma," p. 166)
      "Masonry makes no profession of Christianity...but looks forward to the
      time when the labor ofour ancient brethren shall be symbolized by the
      erection of a spiritual temple...in which there shall be but one alter
      and one worship; one common altar of Masonry on which the Veda, Shastra,
      Sade, Zend-Avesta, Koran and Holy Bible shall lie...and at whose shrine
      the Hindoo, the Persian, the Assyrian, the Chaldean, the Egyptian, the
      Chinese, the Mohammedan, the Jew and the Christian may kneel..." ("The
      Kentucky Monitor." Fellowcraft Degree, p. 95) The removal of the name of
      Jesus and references to Him in Bible verses used in the ritual are
      "slight but necessary modifications." (Albert Mackey, "Masonic
      Ritualist." p. 272)

      Christianity: The Words of the Lord are pure words, as silver
      tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. (Psa. 12:6) All
      Scripture is given by inspiration of God... (II Tim. 3:16) ...if they
      speak not according to this Word, it is because there is no light in
      them. (Isa. 8:20)

      ------------------------------

      REDEMPTION
      Masonry: "These three degrees (1st, 2nd, 3rd) thus form a
      perfect and harmonious whole, nor can it be conceived that anything can
      be suggested more, which the soul of man requires." (Daniel Sickles,
      "Ahimon Rezon or Freemason's Guide." p. 196) "If we with suitable true
      devotion maintain our Masonic profession, our faith will become a beam
      of light an bring us to
      those blessed mansions where we shall be eternally happy with God, the
      Great Architect of the Universe." (Daniel Sickles, "Ahimon Rezon or
      Freemason's Guide." p. 79) "...salvation by faith and the vicarious
      atonement were not taught as now interpreted, by Jesus, nor are these
      doctrines taught in the esoteric scriptures. They are later and ignorant
      perversions of the
      original doctrines." (J.D. Buck, "Mystic Masonry." p. 57)

      Christianity: As it is written. There is none righteous no not
      one: (Rom. 3:10) For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
      (Rom. 3:23) For He hath made Him {Jesus} to be sin for us, who knew no
      sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. (II Cor.
      5:21) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of
      yourselves: it is the
      gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Eph. 2:8-9)

      ---------------------------------------

      SATAN
      Masonry: "The conviction of all men that God is good led to a
      belief in a devil..." (Albert Pike, "Morals and Dogma." 19th Degree, p.
      324) "...there is no rebellious demon of Evil, or Principle of Darkness
      coexistent and in eternal controversy with God, or the Principle of
      Light..." (Albert Pike, "Morals and Dogma," 32nd Degree, p.859)

      Christianity: Ye are of your father, the devil...he is a liar,
      and the father of it. (Jn. 8:44) Resist the devil, and he will flee from
      you. (Jas. 4:7) Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to
      stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh
      and blood, but against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of
      this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Eph. 6:11-12)
      ...your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking
      whom he may
      devour. (I Pet. 5:8)

      --------------------------------------

      TRUTHFULNESS
      Masonry: The Mason Doctrine teaches that it right to lie, if
      necessary to protect the secrets of the Lodge, or to protect brother
      Masons by concealing his wrongdoing. It can even be right to
      deliberately deceive sincere Masons seeking to learn the lessons and
      secrets of Masonry.

      "The Blue Degrees are but the portico (porch) of the Temple. Part of
      thesymbols are displayed there to the initiate, but he is intentionally
      misled by false interpretations. It is not intended that he shall
      understand them; but it is intended that he shall imagine that he
      understands them...their true ecplication (explanation / understanding)
      is reserved for the Adepts, the Princes of Masonry." (Albert Pike,
      "Morals and Dogma," 30th Degree, p.189) "You must conceal all crimes of
      your brother Masons...and should you be summoned as a witness against a
      brother Mason be always sure to shield him...It may be perjury to do
      this, it is true, but you' are keeping your obligations." (Ronayne,
      "Handbook of Masonry." p. 183) "Furthermore do I
      promise and swear that a Master Mason's secrets, given to me in charge
      as such, and I knowing them to be such, shall remain as secure and
      inviolable in my breast as in his own, when communicated to me, murder
      and treason excepted; and they left to my own election." (Master Mason's
      / 3rd Degree Oath of Obligation)

      Christianity: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy
      neighbor. (Ex. 20:16) Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither
      lie one to another. (Lev. 19:11) ...lie not to one another. (Col. 3:9)
      ...all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire
      and brimstone; which is the second death.
      (Rev 21:8)
      -----------------------------------

      SECRECY & BLOOD OATHS
      Masonry: Secrecy is indispensable in a Mason of whatever degree."
      (Albert Pike, "Morals and Dogma," 4th Degree, p. 109) I...do hereon most
      solemnly and sincerely promise and swear that I will always hail, ever
      conceal and never reveal any of the arts, parts or points of the secret
      arts or any mysteries of ancient Freemasonry which I have received, am
      about to
      receive, or may hereafter be instructed in..." (Oath of Obligation,
      Entered Apprentice/1st Degree, and included in all subsequent degrees,
      always on penalty of mayhem and violent death) "...binding myself under
      no less a penalty that that of
      having my body severed in twain, my bowels taken out and burned to
      ashes, the ashes scattered to the four winds of heaven..." (from the
      Oath of Obligation, Master Mason/Third Degree) "...In willful violation
      whereof may I incur the fearful penalty of having my eyeballs pierced to
      the center with a three-edged blade, my feet flayed and I be forced to
      walk the hot sands upon sterile shores of the Red Sea until the flaming
      Sun shall strike me with a livid plague, and may Allah, the god of Arab,
      Moslem and Mohammedan, the god of our fathers, support me to the entire
      fulfillment of the same." (from the Oath of Obligation, Ancient Arabic
      Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine ["Shriners"])

      Christianity:
      I {Jesus} spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and
      in the temple...and in secret have I said nothing. (Jn.
      18:20) Provide things honest in the sight of all men. (Rom. 12:17) Thou
      shalt not kill (murder). (Ex. 20:13) But above all things, my brethren,
      swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other
      oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into
      condemnation. (Jas. 5:12)