Re: [orthodox-synod] Two questions

  • seraphim shinn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000
      --- Nikolaj <pravoslavie@...> wrote:
      > Dear Friends
      > I have two questions:
      >
      > 1. Does any of you have any experience with the
      > so-called "toltec-system"?
      > (Theun Mares - Carlos Castaneda etc.)
      > I do not necessarily refer to personally experience
      > of practicing this particular pagan worship of
      > course, but
      > rather if you know Orthodox Baptized persons, who
      > had been involved with such practices, and how
      > did they get out of it? (if they did get out, of
      > course!)
      > Any experience and advice is welcome.
      >
      > 2. Why is there (to my knowledge) absolutely nothing
      > published in english about
      > free-masonry, from an Orthodox Christian view point?

      Perhaps because the relations between Freemasonry and
      Christianity are different in Russia and english
      speaking countries.

      Please do not misunderstand this as a defense of
      masonry, (which it is not).

      In English-speaking countries, the masons have not had
      the history of being as highly anti-clerical, as they
      are in the rest of Europe.

      Also, English-speaking nations tend to be highly
      dominated by protestants, who do not object to masonry
      as strongly as we do, some don't have any problems
      with masonry at all, ignoring the pagan aspects of
      masonry, and just thinking of it as a charitable
      organisation for men.

      Many protestant ministers are also masons!

      It is not unheard of in the US for Orthodox layman in
      some jurisdictions to be masons, though it is
      officially frowned on.

      Seraphim

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/