Two questions

  • Nikolaj
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000
      Dear Friends
      I have two questions:

      1. Does any of you have any experience with the so-called "toltec-system"?
      (Theun Mares - Carlos Castaneda etc.)
      I do not necessarily refer to personally experience of practicing this particular pagan worship of course, but
      rather if you know Orthodox Baptized persons, who had been involved with such practices, and how
      did they get out of it? (if they did get out, of course!)
      Any experience and advice is welcome.

      2. Why is there (to my knowledge) absolutely nothing published in english about
      free-masonry, from an Orthodox Christian view point?
      In Russian there is an abundance of very fine and informative books on all levels.
      Does any of you know of any english language Orthodox books about free-masonry?

      Thank you

      In Christ
      Nikolaj

      "Forgiveness is better than revenge. "
      St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
      + + +

    • seraphim shinn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000
        --- Nikolaj <pravoslavie@...> wrote:
        > Dear Friends
        > I have two questions:
        >
        > 1. Does any of you have any experience with the
        > so-called "toltec-system"?
        > (Theun Mares - Carlos Castaneda etc.)
        > I do not necessarily refer to personally experience
        > of practicing this particular pagan worship of
        > course, but
        > rather if you know Orthodox Baptized persons, who
        > had been involved with such practices, and how
        > did they get out of it? (if they did get out, of
        > course!)
        > Any experience and advice is welcome.
        >
        > 2. Why is there (to my knowledge) absolutely nothing
        > published in english about
        > free-masonry, from an Orthodox Christian view point?

        Perhaps because the relations between Freemasonry and
        Christianity are different in Russia and english
        speaking countries.

        Please do not misunderstand this as a defense of
        masonry, (which it is not).

        In English-speaking countries, the masons have not had
        the history of being as highly anti-clerical, as they
        are in the rest of Europe.

        Also, English-speaking nations tend to be highly
        dominated by protestants, who do not object to masonry
        as strongly as we do, some don't have any problems
        with masonry at all, ignoring the pagan aspects of
        masonry, and just thinking of it as a charitable
        organisation for men.

        Many protestant ministers are also masons!

        It is not unheard of in the US for Orthodox layman in
        some jurisdictions to be masons, though it is
        officially frowned on.

        Seraphim

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/