Re: Fw: Fw: Here's the post about it.

  • romanos777@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 24, 2000
      Dear List Members,

      Regarding this rumor of the alleged embalming of Met. Philaret....I
      know a priest who helped vest Met. Philaret's relics when he reposed.
      According to this priest, Met. Philaret's relics were never left
      alone from the time he died until his burial -- enbalming was
      impossible.

      And for Mr. Miller: Since the departure of former Abp. Maximos, and
      the later disengagement of Met. Athanasios, our synod has
      commemorated Met. Makarios of Toronto as Locum Tenens of the
      archepiscopal throne of Athens.

      And yes, HOCNA was changed to HOMB.

      In Christ,
      Romanos Emmert,
      Miami, Florida

      --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, "Robert Miller" <rsjmil@w...>
      wrote:
      > One other comment came to me individually, but at least second
      hand, perhaps
      > third. "I know for a fact that
      > Metr Philaret was embalmed. I know the mortician who did it." The
      > name of the mortician apparently was given to my informant, who did
      > not pass it on because I wouldn't have known anyhow.
      > My personal feeling is that this matter can just as well be left
      alone now.
      > I have heard other say absolutely Metr Philaret was not embalmed.
      >
      > I would like to ask Romanos777 who the Chief Hierarch in Greece is
      > whom he follows, and whether this is the same Chief Hierarch HOCNA
      > now is in Communion with. Oh yes, is HOMB really the new
      designation for
      > HOCNA? If Romanos lurks on this list, as he says, then
      > this small bit of information would fill out the picture for us.
      Thanks,

    • romanos777@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24, 2000
        Actually Patrick reminded me that I should have been a little more
        exact. HOCNA has been (or is in the process of being) disolved. HOMB
        is the new designation for the U.S. diocese. I have no idea what the
        Canadian diocese will call itself, but I expect it will be something
        similar.

        In Chrisr,
        Romanos Emmert

        --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, pwrbarrett@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 10/24/2000 1:18:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > rsjmil@w... writes:
        >
        > > I would like to ask Romanos777 who the Chief Hierarch in Greece is
        > > whom he follows, and whether this is the same Chief Hierarch
        HOCNA
        > > now is in Communion with. Oh yes, is HOMB really the new
        designation for
        > > HOCNA?
        >
        > Dear Joseph,
        >
        > I suspect that my kinsman Romanos won't answer you, so I'll fill
        you in:

        > HOCNA has no bishops in Greece, but they are still in communion
        > with the majority of the bishops who were in communion with Abp.
        > Auxentios when he passed away, and they still consider themselves
        > the successors to the Auxentian synod.
        >
        > As I understand it, HOMB is not exactly the same as HOCNA. I think
        > HOMB stands for Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston, i.e., part of
        > HOCNA, but not the whole.
        >
        > Patrick Barrett.
      • Robert Miller
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2000
          Thank you for all your information, Romanos. But who is Patrick?

          Would it be a correct interpretation of the information you gave
          us that different Dioceses of the former HOCNA will have different
          names or designations? You say HOMBS is the designation only
          for the U. S. Diocese: thinking a little further, since Metr Ephraim
          is Chief Hierarch in the U.S. and now Metr Makarios is Chief Hierarch
          in Canada, it appears that the former HOCNA is dividing into two local
          Churches. If that is not correct, please enlighten us.

          Joseph Miller

        • romanos777@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2000
            Dear Robert,

            My distant cousin, Patrick Barrett, posted an answer to your
            question. He was the Patrick to whom I was referring.

            The U.S. and Canadian dioceses have always been administratively
            separate dioceses of the TOC of Greece. For some reason unknown to
            me, they legally incorporated in North America as HOCNA. I assume
            they are dissolving HOCNA to better reflect the Canons of the
            Orthodox Church and the By-Laws of the TOC of Greece.

            Wouldn't these questions be more appropriate for the "Jurisdictions
            List"?

            In Christ,
            Romanos Emmert

            wrote:
            > Thank you for all your information, Romanos. But who is Patrick?
            >
            > Would it be a correct interpretation of the information you gave
            > us that different Dioceses of the former HOCNA will have different
            > names or designations? You say HOMBS is the designation only
            > for the U. S. Diocese: thinking a little further, since Metr Ephraim
            > is Chief Hierarch in the U.S. and now Metr Makarios is Chief
            Hierarch
            > in Canada, it appears that the former HOCNA is dividing into two
            local
            > Churches. If that is not correct, please enlighten us.
            >
            > Joseph Miller

          • Robert Miller
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2000
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2000
                Thank you, Patrick. It puzzles me why Romanos might not answer, since
                I was only requesting some facts. But of course he did answer, and my
                questions were answered, i.e., my request to know who the present
                Chief Hierarch of HOCNA/HOMB is, in Greece. Greece is important
                since the TOC of Greece is Romanos' affiliation. I was expecting to
                hear Abp Andreas or Abp Chrysostomos II (Kiousis), or Metr Kallinikos
                of Lamia, or Metr Kallinikos of the Twelve Islands. There is more than one
                Chief Hierarch in Greece, for Old Calendar or Traditionalist Orthodox,
                as everyone knows, i.e., more than one claim on the title, TOC of Greece.
                So it was a surprise to hear Metr Makarios of Toronto, as Locum Tenens
                living not in Greece. Nonetheless, Romanos did answer, and so again I thank
                both of you cousins for your information.

                Jos M