Re: [orthodox-synod] ROAC?

  • Rd. Constantine Wright
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
      Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

      >From: crozdils@...
      >Subject: [orthodox-synod] ROAC?
      >
      > What the heck does ROAC stand for?

      Russian Orthodox Autonomus Church, whose First Hierarch is Archbishop
      Valentin of Suzdal and Vladimir.

      The following, taken from a report by Keston News Service (dated 1996), is a
      (brief) introduction to the history of this True Orthodox Church:

      >CONFLICTS AMONG THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX
      >
      >The Moscow Patriarchate's main rival claiment to legitimacy, the >Russian
      >Orthodox Church Abroad (hereafter ROCA;) is losing ground on >Russian soil.
      >ROCA's indigenous Russian supporters the Russian Free >Orthodox Church
      >(hereafter RFOC) formed its own adminstrative >institution last year [NB:
      >1995], the Supreme Temporary Church >Administration and on the basis of an
      >edict from the 1920s which was >issued by the "locum tenens" of what was in
      >FROC's view the last >canonically elected Patriarch, and which allowed
      >bishops to act
      >independently, have gone ahead and consecrated a number of new >bishops.
      > The leader of RFOC is Archbishop Valentin of Suzdal who enjoys >excellent
      >relations with the municipal authorities in the small town >of Suzdal where
      >life is like that of a village and everyone knows >everyone else. He has
      >control over five out of seven functioning >Orthodox
      >churches........Initially after the advent of religious >freedom in 1988
      >and the passing of a new liberal law on religion in >1990, links between
      >Orthodox parishes which did not accept the Moscow >Patriarchate's authority
      >and ROCA were openly established and >Archbishop Valentin was consecrated
      >in Brussels in 1990. But two and >a half years ago relations were soured,
      >said Fr Mikhail Makeev, when >Bishop Varnava of Cannes (representing ROCA's
      >Archbishops' Synod) >came to Moscow, openly consorted with the
      >black-uniformed entourage >of the extreme nationalist Vasilev's
      >organization "Pamyat'", >high-handedly took over parishes and allowed
      >priests who had been >banned within Russia to serve again. Last year
      >Archbishop Valentin >formed the Supreme Temporary Church Administration in
      >Russia and in >the summer went ahead with the consecration of three new
      >bishops >without the Synod's permission, thus breaking finally with ROCA
      > >.....Two RFOC hierarchs have remained under the jurisdiction of ROCA:
      >Bishop Veniamin of the Black Sea and Kuban (who was consecrated soon >after
      >Archbishop Valentin and has no parishes within his care) and >Bishop
      >Yevtikhii of Ishim [? spelling] and Siberia (who was >consecrated in New
      >York last year and retains oversight over ten >parishes). Last but not
      >least is Archbishop Lazar of Odessa who was >the first to be consecrated by
      >ROCA: this was done in secret by >Bishop Varnava in the 1980s. He has not
      >made clear whether he >remains in communion with ROCA or accepts
      >Archbishopm Valentin's >policy of independence. [NB: Vladyka Lazarus
      >remains in ROCOR] The >RFOC dislikes what Fr Mikhail Makeev describes as
      >"the unhealthy >nationalism" of ROCA and its hobnobbing with the Moscow
      >Patriarchate >with which it wants to maintain a dialogue.....Archbishop
      >Valentin >has about 100 parishes within his jurisdiction with varying
      >numbers >of parishioners......Some parishes which belonged to the True
> [...]

      As well, I recall there was an article in the New York Times about the
      ROAC... I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

      With Christ's love,
      Rd. Constantine

      # Reader Constantine Wright PO Box 774, Athens, GA 30603 #
      # constantinew@... constans@... #
      # Personal Page- http://members.tripod.com/~constans_wright #

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • crozdils@tir.com