RE: [orthodox-synod] Legitimacy

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2000
      On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Fr. Alexander Lebedeff wrote:
      > German. And it goes on from there--all succeeding Emperors of Russia were
      > born of mothers who were German (except for Nicholas II, whose Mother was a
      > Danish princess) - so that St. Nicholas II had only 1/256 Russian blood,
      > and St. Tsarevich Alexei had only 1/512. The other 511/512 was almost all
      > German/Scandinavian (including a bit from the Germans on the British
      > throne, by way of Queen Victoria and Albert--too bad it was the bit that
      > carried the haemophilia gene).

      Of course, it also can be said that Rurik was a Scandinavian
      (Viking) chieftain, from Denmark, and according to some accounts, the
      cousin of Leif Ericsson.

      There are also some who see the Cossacks as descended from the
      Vikings (dry-land, Slavicized, Orthodox Vikings to be sure!).

      IN the end, we are all relatives through Adam.

    • pwrbarrett@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2000
        In a message dated 10/4/2000 4:59:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, h2o@...
        writes:

        << In the future, perhaps I will be
        more careful about this type of dry, British humor. >>

        I apologize. I was tired, and the fact that we are
        all related is something I tend to harp on. But I
        should have seen the humor.

        Abashedly,

        Patrick B.