RE: [orthodox-synod] Legitimacy

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2000
      >Rachael K., my soon-to-be daughter-in-law (12 days and counting) wrote:
      >
      > And then there's that other group of German/Scandinavians, the
      >Romanovs.... ;-)

      Of course, she's correct. The last Russian Emperor/Empress both of whose
      parents were Russian was Empress Anna Ioannovna (1730-1740). The male line
      of the Romanoffs had already ended in 1730 at the death of Peter II.

      Peter III (whose last name really was Holstein-Gottorb, since his father
      was Karl-Friedrich, Duke of Holstein-Gottorb) was 1/4 Russian and 3/4
      German. And it goes on from there--all succeeding Emperors of Russia were
      born of mothers who were German (except for Nicholas II, whose Mother was a
      Danish princess) - so that St. Nicholas II had only 1/256 Russian blood,
      and St. Tsarevich Alexei had only 1/512. The other 511/512 was almost all
      German/Scandinavian (including a bit from the Germans on the British
      throne, by way of Queen Victoria and Albert--too bad it was the bit that
      carried the haemophilia gene).

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • pwrbarrett@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2000
        In a message dated 10/4/2000 4:59:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, h2o@...
        writes:

        << In the future, perhaps I will be
        more careful about this type of dry, British humor. >>

        I apologize. I was tired, and the fact that we are
        all related is something I tend to harp on. But I
        should have seen the humor.

        Abashedly,

        Patrick B.