Re: [orthodox-synod] Legitimacy

  • Russell Martin
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 2, 2000
      >>> pwrbarrett@... 10/02/00 07:42PM:

      About 20 years ago a book was published claiming that
      the Merovingian kings were descended from our Savior
      and St. Mary Magdalene.>>>

      _Holy Blood, Holy Grail_. It's a hoot. And it's hooey.

      <<<Virtually all of European royalty is descended in one way or
      another from the Merovingians, including our own Father
      Andrew James and Prince Franz of Bavaria. >>>

      Actually, this isn't true. There are no demonstrable Merovingian descent lines. The lineage has expired. That there may be female or illegitimate lines of descent is probable in theory, but totally without documentary substantiation. It IS true, however, that "virtually all of European royalty is descended in one way or another" from the Carolingians, who gave us Charlemagne, of course. But then, one noted genealogiest in New England has plausibly argued that nearly half of all Americans of European descent are descended from the Carolingians.

      As for the relevancy of this thread, I would agree that it is hardly edifying spiritually, but nonetheless harmless. This is a list of Orthodox Christians discussing things. Mostly, the things discussed are things of the Church and their spiritual struggles. If from time to time the friendships established on this list take the conversation into other areas a bit afield, what is the harm? I imagine that even at Jordanville the monks discuss the weather from time to time.

      In Christ,
      Roman
    • pwrbarrett@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 4, 2000
        In a message dated 10/4/2000 4:59:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, h2o@...
        writes:

        << In the future, perhaps I will be
        more careful about this type of dry, British humor. >>

        I apologize. I was tired, and the fact that we are
        all related is something I tend to harp on. But I
        should have seen the humor.

        Abashedly,

        Patrick B.