Re: [orthodox-synod] Legitimacy.

  • Russell Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2000
      >>> LJames6034@... 09/28/00 11:11PM :
      And, Roman, you omitted Princess Maria's son, George. He is also descended
      from the kings of Georgia, curiously enough....>>>

      Yes, I did, but intentionally so. Mariia is the heiress of the throne, in my view. She has as son, who is, in turn, her heir; but he's got to wait his turn!

      <<<The above should demonstrate several things about Russia, in the 12th
      century. (1) It's rulers were well-aware of the outside world; >>>

      Agreed.

      <<<(2) The
      Royal Familes of Europe were one family, until the Protestant Reformation; >>>

      If you mean "all related," then that is more or less true. If you mean that they functioned that way, then I probably would disagree.

      <<<(3) It was considered important to compare Vladimir Monomakh to a vigorous,
      successful Saxon king, from whom his grandchildren were descended.>>>

      Perhaps, but the comparions could be taken too far and I might wonder out loud if the venerable Professor Obolenskii didn't in fact do that. Kiev was no Paris or Constantinople. And, further, I'm not sure that the Mongol invasion disrupted the economy of the Rus' space as much as has been alleged previously.

      But what do I know?

      Roman (Reader, PhD, and, most especially, doting father of 2)

      Russell E. Martin
      Asst. Professor of History
      Co-Moderator of the Honors Program
      Westminister College