"He made the trains run on time."

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2000
      That, as I recall, was said of Benito Mussolini.

      Once, many years ago, when I was having trouble getting my money out of the
      Banca Nazionale de Lavoro, on the Via Veneto, in Rome, I casually said:
      "Where is Mussolini, now that I need him?"

      A bank official said: "Did you like Mussolini?"

      I answered: "No, but he would have shot somebody!"

      Dictatorships are, in that way, ever so efficient. Monarchy is dictatorship
      with grace. The monarch is allegedly above politics, and has his/her
      people's interest at heart. Alas, that has seldom been the case, but, as
      Ernest Hemingway once put it: "Wouldn't it be pretty to think so?"

      ALJJ+