Re: [orthodox-synod] Prayer request

  • Robert Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7 8:03 PM
      Tell us his name. We Orthodox find praying for someone much
      easier if we have a name.

      JMil
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8 1:34 AM
        Dear my Father,

        I cannot imagine that my feeble prayers have any weight with God
        than the prayers of you child.

        But of course I will pray. Please let us know what happens.

        Patrick.
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8 2:30 PM
          The child's baptismal name is "Paul."

          His mother, who is a Jehovah's Witness, named him "Ishmael."

          God knows him by either name, I expect. Don't you?

          ALJJ+
        • Robert Miller
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8 5:16 PM
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9 6:51 AM
              I, myself, am wont to pray "for my ancestors." I don't take time to name
              them. I would get nothing else done. Such naming would be analogous to
              calling upon all the Hindu gods, by name!

              Why, I even ask God to be good to "my granny." She has been dead, since
              1949 Yes, it is significant that I know the exact year. I don't name her.
              I expect God knows her. Her given name was Mary Elizabeth. Hence, my
              daughters names are: "Elizabeth Anne," and "Alexandra Marie." Both were
              named for the one person I knew, when I was a child, who actually, honest to
              God, loved me!

              My only begotten son is Ian Andrew Stephen James. He was called "Andrew,"
              after Mary Elizabeth's huband. That Andrew James died, before I was born.

              In my own personal prayers, I try to remember to pray "for that person who
              most needs our prayers." and "all those who have asked me to pray for them,"
              as well as "for all those for whom I ought to pray." I sometimes cannot
              rmember all those names, either.

              Since there are a great many of us, imagine the wretched state of that one
              who "most needs our prayers"!

              During the Liturgy, we pray for a great many only by category: "The
              faithful," "Those absent from us," etc.

              Indeed, dear hearts, "we Orthodox" (as over against those who are not
              orthodox--or those who think they are, but fall short of the goal, or those
              who may be kinder and gentler, and have a larger vision of humanity, yet
              never heard of the Orthodox Church) continually pray for those who need our
              prayers, even if we do not know their names.

              If it weren't for tunnel vision, some who call themselves "Orthodox" would
              have no vision at all.

              Father Andrew