Re: [orthodox-synod] Cardinal Ratzinger

  • elias
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2000
      Greetings:

      Yes, you are right. How can a Mother also be a sister. Well, maybe in this
      age of genetic engineering all things are possible. But are all things
      edifying?

      At least it is an answer to Fr. Florovsky's wish that the various sides of
      the debate become absolutely clear about what they believe. This for me is a
      breath of fresh air. At this poit real differences can be discussed instead
      of the usual amorphous nonsense that is passed of as "fraternal love".

      Now the Latins may be starting to say what the Orthodox have been saying all
      along. Perhaps this is end beginning of the end of JPII.

      elias

      Sunday's paper (The Columbus Dispatch, which wouldn't make this up!) said
      Cardinal Ratzinger believes the Roman Church is "the Mother of Churches,"
      that neither the Orthodox nor the Protestants are "sister churches."

      We can at least agree on that last part. The Roman Church is not and cannot
      be a "sister church" to any other. It's that Mother part that worries one.
      Can it be the cardinal has never read Acts 11:26?

      How then is Rome the Mother?

      How can the cardinal make such statements, unless they are, in fact, the
      exact opinion of the present pope. This, notwithstanding the "two lungs"
      theory he has developed, and some "Orthodox" repeat.

      It is my judgement that Cardinal Ratzinger merely mouths exactly what the
      Roman Church has always believed about itself. That he makes these
      statements in apparent contradistinction to the present pope, and does so as
      an official of the Vatican, should be a sign to us all.

      Father Andrew L. J. James
    • pwrbarrett@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2000
        In a message dated 9/5/2000 12:06:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        LJames6034@... writes:

        << Sunday's paper (The Columbus Dispatch, which wouldn't make this up!) said
        Cardinal Ratzinger believes the Roman Church is "the Mother of Churches,"
        that neither the Orthodox nor the Protestants are "sister churches." >>

        Dear and Reverend Father,

        The BBC gave further information:

        "In another document, to be published in Rome next Tuesday, the cardinal
        says that the word "church" can correctly be applied to the Orthodox
        churches which broke away from Rome nearly 1,000 years ago, but not to
        those which broke away at the time of the Protestant Reformation."

        Love,

        Patrick B.
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2000
          Well, isn't that special, as the Church lady used dto say!

          The papers said he included the Orthodox. It doesn't matter. If he did, he
          did. Though, to be sure, if he did, he is flying in the face of what the
          pope (seems) to teach.

          I, frankly, don't trust them. We've had too much experience with their
          closed system to ever think they mean what they say.

          ALJJ+
        • LJames6034@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2000

            <<

            Maybe, but may it not also be Ratzinger's first shot at becoming pope? Would
            he dare?! Those who campaign for the office generally lose. Certainly, if
            Ratzinger's words are quoted accurately, they reflect that old, closed,
            authoritarian Roman system we (who ae of "maturer experience, " i.e.,
            "old"!) remember so well.

            ALJJ+