Re: [orthodox-synod] The Greek Festival, Columbus, OH

  • pwrbarrett@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
      In a message dated 9/1/2000 12:48:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      LJames6034@... writes:

      << "Only those of us who are the descendants of St.
      Vladimir should be allowed any opinion, much less a posting on this List!"

      Dear and Reverend Father,

      Statistically, it's likely that a great many of us fall into that group.
      So I claim rights of opinion and posting until proved *not* a descendant
      of St. Vladimir. (And if you can document my ancestry in all lines - or
      any line - back to the time of St. Vladimir, you're a better genealogist
      than I am.

      << This week, the "Weekender" showed a photograph of a Greek woman dancer
      superimposed upon an image of the Theotokos, which rises in the apse above
      the altar at the Greek cathedral, on High St.

      "Here's to the Greeks!" the slogan says. >>

      Not that anything really surprises me any more, but please tell
      me this is an example of editorial bad taste, and not an actual
      paid advertisement.

      Patrick Barrett
    • LJames6034@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
        God help us. No, it was not a paid advertisement. It was just editorial
        bad taste.
        However, try to remember that Columbus (by its detractors) is referred to as
        "Cow Town." I think that is unkind, even untrue.

        Some years ago, when a Metropolitan Armored Car spread cash out to the winds,
        while it was enroute along the interstate, people parked their cars
        (illegally, of course), and some were heard to exclaim: "Praise the Lord!"
        as they gathered cash and drove away.

        In Columbus, some of us believe God can rain US Dollars from the sky,
        apparently.

        As I said in my article in Christianity and Crisis, concerning the above:
        "I knew nothing about this money shower. I was locked away in the library at
        the Columbus College of Art and Design, at that time. I can prove that!"

        A police officer came along and struck some $10,000 from the hand of one of
        the thieves. That was about all the government got back. But, it was all
        covered by insurance, so it was OK? Right?!

        ALJJ+