Pensions

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2000
      As some of you know, I used to be what is now called "an Episcopal
      clergyperson". I, on the other hand, had been ordained a priest. In my
      case, I like to say: "IF God didn't want me to be made a priest, He's made
      the same mistake twice." (Literalists will cry out: "God doesn't make
      mistakes!" To which I respond: "Nothing gets past you."

      As a result of having been an Episcopal priest, every month (as it did
      today), a check arrives from the Episcopal Church Pesion Fund. There's a
      story about that which might be useful to others.

      When I first told the Episcopal Church I wanted the retirement for which
      various, well-intentioned, honest persons had paid , expecting me to receive
      that, the administration of the Clergy Pension Fund answered: "We don't
      think we are required to give you that pension, since you renounced the
      ministry."

      My response, being the person I am, was: "If you do not pay me what I am
      supposed to get, I will sue the Episcopal Church. Moreover, I will alert the
      media. How will it look in the headlines of the New York Times? 'Orthodox
      priest sues Episcopal Church for his pension' ."

      And, what do you know? Pratically by return mail, the Episcopal Church
      Pensinon Fund sent me a check. (That I knew the bishop who works there may
      have been helpful. He likely knew I meant what I said.)

      "The workman is worthy of his hire."

      Father Andrew