Re: [orthodox-synod] Russian Deanery in California

  • Fraese
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2000
      Dear Alexei,
      The OCA always tries to bring in this idea that loving each other is enough.
      Orthodoxy has always held to the teaching that we need truth and right
      teaching, not only love. Besides which, this idea of love seems to be a
      sentimental, mooshy-gooshy kind of thing that has no substance. Love is
      willing to lay down one's life for one's brother. When the Moscow
      Patriarchate is grabbing properties in the Holy Land, is the OCA stepping in
      and saying anything? I haven't heard about it.
      The church is one. How can you say your church has unity even in itself if
      it is celebrating on two separate calendars? We believe that we are
      celebrating with the saints in heaven. Who are you celebrating with if you
      celebrate thirteen days earlier?
      You say you commemorate the saints at your liturgy. But you also
      commemorate enemies of the Church. How does this prove your love for the
      saints?
      If we truly love and pray for Orthodox Christians, then let us be united in
      mind, and in faith and in teaching. Let us be united with the Church, with
      the saints, and not with this world.
      Theodora of the Prairies

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2000
        <<When the Moscow Patriarchate is grabbing properties in the Holy Land, is
        the OCA stepping in and saying anything?>>
        As a matter of fact, it has, throgh none other than Met. Theodosius himself!
        In 1997, When the "land grab" was moving into Phase II with the dispossession
        of the Hebron Monastics, His Beatitude sent a sycophantic missive to His
        Holiness, Alexei II. See http://www.oca.org/OCA/Official/1997-to-PMO-0711.htm
        and notice that the message makes no reference to the brutality or
        questionable legalities involved. I guess being a "Daughter Church" of the MP
        implies certain loyalties, regardless of the facts.
        Reader Stephen
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2000
          As I believe I have mentioned before, The Most Blessed Theodosius, in his
          article (July, 1995) on the 25th anniversary of the autocephaly of the OCA,
          said there are those who think the OCA would be better off back in the
          Moscovite fold. Being a politician, it is unlikely His Beatitude the
          Archbishop would want to offend that segment of the OCA constituency.

          However, as I have pointed out (in print, in One Church): The OCA was in
          formal schism from Moscow, in 1924; they were in declared schism, since
          1934; that Moscow finally decided to cut the umbillical cord in 1970, was,
          for lack of a better term: Inevitable.

          History may be ugly, sometimes, but it will still be history.

          ALJJ+