Re: [orthodox-synod] RE: APOSTATES

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3 6:51 AM
      I did not say that "only one bishop was against". What I said was
      that one bishop was very vocal in his opposition. I could name several
      other bishops who were not in sympathy with the proposal--and who quietly
      preserved the older tradition.

      It is also, as I think is adequately known, not correct to say
      that "in Russia before Peter the Great all converts were baptized". For
      most of its history, the Russian Church accepted converts by various
      ceremonies also. There were, howver, periods in which converts were
      baptized.
      In Christ
      Fr. John R. Shaw>

    • Olga Mitrenina
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3 12:13 PM
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3 2:35 PM
          If ROCA has a "liberal wing", I don't know who belongs to it.
          There are those of us who learned the faith and practice of Orthodoxy, in
          ROCOR/ROCA, quite possibly before Olga was born, or before she had heard
          of ROCOR.
          I am against ecumenism, modernism, and most of what goes by the
          name of "liberal" in our society; however, being opposed to communism or
          Nazism does not mean we have to point to innocent people and call them
          communists or Nazis.
          > all of us when we are
          listening to the
          ROCA liberal
          wing: what is
          the > exact position of these liberals in the eyes of their beloved World
          > Orthodoxy? What they have to do with their love with no hope to any
          > reciprocality?
          >
          > Very curious to hear something opposite from the side of the WO officials,
          > Yours,
          > Olga Mitrenina

        • Fr. George Primak
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 6 2:07 PM
            Dear brethren in Christ,

            I would like to add some words to the discussion held couple of days ago
            concerning the correct way to perform the Mystery of The Holy Baptism.
            First of all, as I understand, the greek word "baptisma" means
            immersion.
            Who would like to get more information related to the opinion of the
            Holy Fathers of the Church about the correct way of the baptism, can
            find it in the book "Novyj Margarit" pages 350-358, which is possible to
            get in the Holy Trinity Monastery book store. Also the similar opinion
            is mentioned in the book "I confess One Baptism" of Fr. George
            Metallinos, pages 39-40.

            With love in Christ,

            Fr. George