Between Two Ecumenisms

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2000
      The bulletin speaks of "common prayer", which can mean many
      things, including "we have all been praying". This has become a standard
      expression, and by istelf cannot be used to make a case. I'm sure that if
      the 1927 gathering I spoke of had been asked, they would not have
      neglected to speak of such prayer--even if neither case involved any
      common *public services*. Nor is thee any reference that I spotted to
      "Orthodox churches being used" for heretical services.

      The statement from Patrirach Pavle is a translation of a
      translation: it was written in Serbian, then translated into Russian by
      those involved in the production of the MP newsletter; then into English,
      I believe, by Olga Mitrenina or Vlaimir Moss, and circulated by them and
      others, all of whom are eager to put an end to the friendly relations
      between ROCOR and the Serbs--though for various reasons.

      Thus we are caught between two ecumenisms: on the one hand, the
      Western ecumenical movement, generated originally by the Anglicans; and
      the other "ecumenism" that unites various and sundry people who try to
      keep the Orthodox faighting amongst themselves. The one ecumenism claims
      that nothing matters except being together; the other, that nothing
      matters except keeping others apart.

      To be Orthodox, it is not enough to be defined by what we hate: we
      must be defined by what we love.

    • TeklaI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2000
        I was trying to get the address for the mission in Austin,TX, but couldn't
        access it for some reason (technical). Could you e-mail me the address of the
        St. John Maximovich mission, please?

        Elizabeth
      • Priest Seraphim Holland
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 14, 2000
          > I was trying to get the address for the mission in Austin,TX, but couldn't
          > access it for some reason (technical). Could you e-mail me the address of the
          > St. John Maximovich mission, please?

          AUSTIN

          St. John Maximovitch Orthodox Mission

          Location: 6901 N. Lamar, Suite 111, Austin, TX, 78752
          Mailing Address 4111 Everest Lane, Austin 78727
          Services: 6:00 PM Saturday: Small Compline with Canon
          10:30 AM Sunday: Typica with Trapeza following
          Vigil and Divine Liturgy are served one Saturday a month, Please call for details and service times.
          Contact: Mary Kuykendall 512-339-7426 E-Mail kak@...
          Acting Rector: Priest Seraphim Holland (resides in Dallas area) 972/529-2754 Mobile: 214 336-3464 E-Mail seraphim@...
          -----
          I am Fr Seraphim Holland, an Orthodox Christian priest and pastor
          of St Nicholas Orthodox Church, in Dallas Texas
          (http://www.orthodox.net). I manage several mailing lists and two
          web sites, which try to provide useful and edifying information
          about Orthodox theology and practice, with a particular emphasis
          on the Holy Scriptures and the typicon. The following descriptions of mailing lists and out website may be of interest to you.

          May God bless you.

          St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church website: http://www.orthodox.net

          The front page is updated almost every week.

          Spiritual Things: Eastern Orthodox Christian dogmas, doctrines, catechesis, lives of saints, holy fathers writings,orthopraxis, liturgi
          cal Services & trebnic prayers, troparia, icons, ecumenism info

          + Questions and Answers
          + Gospel Homilies
          + Various Articles
          + Julian calendar for this month
          + Redeeming the Time" Our semi-weekly journal
          + Trebnic prayers
          + Service Texts (HTML, printable, & for the PalmPilot too!)
          + Common troparia
          + Typicon Information Emphasizing usage in Russian Orthodoxy
          + Confession
          + An Exact Exposition by Saint John Damascene

          + New Valaam Trading Company Books, liturgical supplies, more
          + Clergy directory
          + Parish Directories
          + ROCOR bookstores, publishers, charities, etc. directory
          + Links - to ROCOR Parish Pages
          + More Links, organized in categories

          And more, including lots of information about us at St Nicholas.
          Orthodox Christian Mailing Lists:

          "10questions" is an email list with periodic messages containing
          "Ten Questions and Answers" about important aspects of Orthodox
          Christian Theology and practice, with a special emphasis on
          biblical texts.

          They are also available in a "Quiz" format at
          http://www.orthodox.net/questions. These topics have been used in
          weekly (usually lively!) catechetical discussions at St Nicholas, led by the author, Priest Seraphim Holland, pastor of St Nicholas Ort
          hodox
          Church, Dallas, Texas, USA (seraphim@...) New questions and
          answers are posted regularly.

          To subscribe, send an empty message to
          10questions-subscribe@egroups.com

          or
          gospelthoughts-unsubscribe@egroups.com

          Group Moderator:
          gospelthoughts-owner@egroups.com

          "redeemingthetime" is the email version of "Redeeming the Time"
          an almost weekly "spiritual journal", published in booklet form, via
          email, and on the web (http://www.orthodox.net/redeeming), from St
          Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, TX, USA.

          It concentrates on the current Sunday, and the
          upcoming week,
          with:
          + Catechetical material used in classes at St
          Nicholas
          + Lives of saints
          + Homilies and sayings of the Fathers
          + Explanations of various things
          + Commentary about scripture readings
          + Local news and upcoming events at St Nicholas
          + Other news of interest to Orthodox Christians
          and especially those in the Russian Orthodox
          Church Abroad.

          To subscribe, send an empty message to
          redeemingthetime-subscribe@egroups.com
          or
          redeemingthetime-unsubscribe@egroups.com

          List Owner:
          redeemingthetime-owner@egroups.com

          Full HTML Archive at
          http://www.orthodox.net/redeeming

          "Ustav" facilitates email discussion, questions, commentary and
          teaching concerning the traditional Orthodox Christian typicon and
          music. The Russian word "ustav" means typicon, and indicates that
          our discussion will be slanted towards the Russian Orthodox
          typicon and music, as practiced in the Russian Orthodox Church
          Outside of Russia (http://www.rocor.org), but all other traditional
          usages may also be discussed.

          ROCOR uses the church calendar (the so called "Julian", or "Old"
          calendar), and discussion will generally be assumed to be
          involving this calendar.

          Those who follow the "New Calendar" or are not Orthodox
          Christians are welcome to participate, but this list is not intended to be a debate forum to argue about calendars, as, for tradition
          al Orthodox, this issue is closed. Other usages from non Orthodox should not be presented, except for occasional comparison purposes.

          In general, this list is for traditional Orthodox Christians who love the church and it's typicon, and want to learn more about it, an
          d help others to learn about it, or anyone who wishes to learn about the beauty and theological profundity of Orthodox Christian wor
          ship and music.

          The most common and preferred language, understandable to the
          vast majority, will be English. Other languages may be used,
          especially Russian. Group Moderator: ustav-owner@egroups.com
          (Priest Seraphim Holland, St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church,
          Dallas, TX http://www.orthodox.net )

          or
          ustav-unsubscribe@egroups.com

          Priest Seraphim Holland St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, Texas, USA
          seraphim@... Ph:972/529-2754 MOBILE & VOICE MAIL 214 336-3464
          FAX: 603/908-2408 Home Address: 2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75070, USA
          WEBMASTER FOR: St Nicholas Home Page - http://www.orthodox.net
          Official ROCOR Page - http://www.rocor.org
          10 questions (many subjects) http://www.orthodox.net/questions
          Thoughts on the Sunday gospels http://www.orthodox.net/sermons