Re: [orthodox-synod] RE: APOSTATES

  • Michael Nikitin
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2000
      Before Pater 1 the RC were baptized. It didn't harm the Church.
      If the form was there the person should have no problem with being
      chrismated.If the form wasn't there the person should be baptized but then
      that's for the bishop to decide.

      Metr. Philaret baptized.

      Fr. John was the secretary for Vl.Nikon who with the other bishops were
      for passing the resolution to baptize. If only one bishop was against what
      does that say? After all,baptism was in the Russian Church prior to Peter
      1!

      In Russia before the revolution things in the Church were slacking.
      Improprieties were occuring more frequently and God didn't let the
      communists take over Russia if it wasn't warranted.God loves us and he
      brings us to repentence. ROCA was formed, a shining star but things are
      changing in ROCA.

      Let's not change more than what is necessary . If an obvious form is
      missing (i.e.triple immersion),unless the person is sick, let's not be too
      hasty in our decisions but say a prayer before performing so God can help in
      our judgement.

      Things changed quite a bit in the Churches for "the worse"since 1971.
      What was allowed then shouldn't be allowed now because of the
      heresies,especially ECUMENISM.

      Remember Chrismation is the restoration of Grace that is missing!

      From: "Rev. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...>
      To: orthodox-synod@egroups.com
      Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] RE: APOSTATES
      Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:49:23 -0500 (CDT)
      From sentto-1289487-398-965162967-mikeniki Tue Aug 01 13:53:22 2000

      In the practice of the Russian Orthodox Church, and also in the
      Greek Church as well (at the very least in the past), baptism by triple
      immersion was viewed as the desirable norm, but not obligatory. Thus
      where it was physically impossible to immerse someone (e.g. because of
      sickness), they were baptized by "infusion" (pouring). This is referred
      to in an early document called the Didache (Teaching of the Apostles).

      In addition to such cases, there were also areas where it had
      become customary to baptize by pouring instead of immersion--in Serbia,
      for example, babies were often, or even mostly, baptized by pouring.

      The reception of converts by chrismation was specified in various
      cases by the Ecumenical Councils, and was prescribed by the official
      service books of the Russian Church (and still is).

      However, beginning in 1965, after the reception of Priestmonk
      Panteleimon and his monastic house into the Church Abroad, there began a
      kind of "polarization" over this issue.

      Thus when I was received from Anglicanism into Orthodoxy, as a
      teenager, near the end of 1963, there was still no such question.
      Anglicans were supposed to be received by Chrismation, and so I was
      received. As I believe I posted earlier on this list, I subsequently
      finished high school and college as a ROCOR layman, and entered Holy
      Trinity Seminary in Jordanville in the fall of 1968. I made no secret of
      my background and the manner I had been received. However, *no one* at
      Jordanville said anything about "needing to be baptized". I was tonsured
      a reader in 1970 by Vl. Averky of blessed memory, and [as I also posted]
      wrote my dissertation on why the traditional rules for the reception of
      converts (by chrismation) should be *retained*.

      Beginning when I was in college, I had been subjected to urgings
      from various pro-Panteleimon individuals, that I should "still be
      batpized". I consulted with my spiritual father (who is now Bishop Daniel
      of Erie), and he showed me from the Councils and the Fathers that
      Panteleimon was *wrong*. For me that was conclusive.

      However, over the years, HTM continued its work. Panteleimon was
      a clever church politician, and he gained allies in high places. Thus it
      was that at the 1971 Sobor, an attempt was made to make it obligatory to
      baptize all converts. This attempt failed: at least one bishop, Vl.
      Afanassy of blessed memory, firmly and openly declared that he rejected
      this proposal--and that, at least in his diocese, the rubrics in the
      Trebnik, or Book of Needs, for the reception of converts would remain in
      effect.
      I was also at the 1971 Sobor, as the secretary of Vl. Nikon
      (Archbishop of Washington and Florida). On the day taht this all
      occurred, Vladyka explained to me in the evening that although
      Panteleimon had "got his way somewhat", in reality the decision of the
      Sobor had only made chrismation the minimum, and that it was still in the
      domain of the individual bishop how converts were to be received. Vl.
      Nikon himself did not enforce any changes after this "ukase" came out of
      the Sobor (or rather, out of Fr. George Grabbe's office after the Sobor).
      In the summer of 1972, for example, I was the godfather of a convert to
      Orthodoxy who, with Vladyka Nikon's blessing, was received by
      chrismation. I believe it was in 1974 that the late Fr. Stefan Bowbeel
      in New Brunswick received a former Roman Catholic girl by profession of
      faith (according to the Trebnik), I believe with Vladyka's knowledge;
      however, she went to visit Panteleimon's monastery in Brookline and was
      "put out with the catechumens".
      In the Diocese of Chicago and Detroit, Vl. Seraphim of blessed
      memory, and now Vl. Alypy, have given their blessing for converts to be
      received by chrismation--and indeed both have on occasions received such
      converts personally.
      It must be borne in mind that there are only two possibilities:
      either a person is a member of the Orthodox Church, or they are not. If
      they are--then baptizing them after that can only be wrong. If they are
      *not*--then many, many people have been misled into thinking they were
      members of the Church when they were not. Among them would be many
      Saints, including the last Empress of Russia. But more than that, such a
      thing would mean that countless priests and even bishops of the Church
      were in reality not part of the Church at all--and hence those baptized,
      married, and ordained by them were misled. So were countless faithful who
      approached the Holy Mysteries in the Church, falsely believing that the
      robed figures before them were deacons, priests and bishops--and this
      with the full blessing, or with the misleading silence, of the Orthodox
      Church throughout the world, up to the last two generations.
      Thus either we believe and accept what the Church teaches, or we
      believe a handful of individuals whose testimony is self-contradictory.

      This of course is not the same as the question of how it may be
      *wise* to receive a given convert, or what the person who converts may
      themselves desire.

      Thus, although I was chrismated myself, I have received converts
      in both ways.

      > 1. A person
      coming from another
      faith should have
      triple

      http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

      This mailing list's archives are at
      http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

    • Rev. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2000
        I did not say that "only one bishop was against". What I said was
        that one bishop was very vocal in his opposition. I could name several
        other bishops who were not in sympathy with the proposal--and who quietly
        preserved the older tradition.

        It is also, as I think is adequately known, not correct to say
        that "in Russia before Peter the Great all converts were baptized". For
        most of its history, the Russian Church accepted converts by various
        ceremonies also. There were, howver, periods in which converts were
        baptized.
        In Christ
        Fr. John R. Shaw>

      • Olga Mitrenina
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2000
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2000
            If ROCA has a "liberal wing", I don't know who belongs to it.
            There are those of us who learned the faith and practice of Orthodoxy, in
            ROCOR/ROCA, quite possibly before Olga was born, or before she had heard
            of ROCOR.
            I am against ecumenism, modernism, and most of what goes by the
            name of "liberal" in our society; however, being opposed to communism or
            Nazism does not mean we have to point to innocent people and call them
            communists or Nazis.
            > all of us when we are
            listening to the
            ROCA liberal
            wing: what is
            the > exact position of these liberals in the eyes of their beloved World
            > Orthodoxy? What they have to do with their love with no hope to any
            > reciprocality?
            >
            > Very curious to hear something opposite from the side of the WO officials,
            > Yours,
            > Olga Mitrenina

          • Fr. George Primak
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 6, 2000
              Dear brethren in Christ,

              I would like to add some words to the discussion held couple of days ago
              concerning the correct way to perform the Mystery of The Holy Baptism.
              First of all, as I understand, the greek word "baptisma" means
              immersion.
              Who would like to get more information related to the opinion of the
              Holy Fathers of the Church about the correct way of the baptism, can
              find it in the book "Novyj Margarit" pages 350-358, which is possible to
              get in the Holy Trinity Monastery book store. Also the similar opinion
              is mentioned in the book "I confess One Baptism" of Fr. George
              Metallinos, pages 39-40.

              With love in Christ,

              Fr. George