Ecumenical news

  • Olga Mitrenina
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      A delegation of romancatholic bishops, represents of the Commission of the
      Bishopric Conferencies of the European Community (COMECE), visited Serbia
      from 13th till 17th of Jule, after the invitation of the Serbian Church.
      They discussed theological issues, visited several churches and refugee
      camps and in the end they edited a common declaration in which they made
      open ecumenical statements and told about common prayers:

      "(...) We, the bishops, members of the delegation of the Serbian Orthodox
      Church and the delegation of the Commission of the Bishopric Conferencies of
      the European Community (COMECE), encountered for the sake of three-day
      meeting in Belgrade. In common prayer and fraternal dialogue and with a
      feeling of praying veneration (molitvennoe pochitaniye) and admiration for
      the sancrithy of the Serbian Orthodox Church, we came even closer to each
      other.
      The fact that in this jubilant year we continued the contact, which didn't
      stop even in the war years, causes us a great joy. The days spent together
      have deepened the sense (smysl) of our christian tights(povyazannost').
      We are bounded by the hope that, through the continued dialogue on
      theological and pastoral challenges of our time, we will work for the good
      of all the people in Europe and throughout the world. Through the ecumenical
      discussions about our theological and pastoral heritage we want to offer our
      contribution to the unity of our Churches. We decided to continue our
      dialogues in the following years. In the next year already, we want to talk
      about what we expect from Europe and for Europe.
      (...)
      Our meeting was a fruitful spiritual event and a new impulse. Our churches
      have a common responsibility for the future. Serbia and Yugoslavia have
      their place in Europe. We want to encourage youth to live in truth and love.
      For three days we were praying together to God, talking and listening to
      each other. In our palomnicheskoe journey we found again a lot of common
      things.
      These were really three days of hope.

      The participants and signers of the Declaration were, on behalf of the
      Commission, bishops dr Josef Homayer (Hildesheim, Germany), Luke de Hovre
      (Bruxelles, Belgium), Josepf Duffy (Monagan, Ireland) and John Mone (Pacely,
      Scotland), a on the side of the SOC bishops of Shumadija dr Sava, of Shabac
      and Valjevo Lavrentije, of the Middle Europe Konstantin, of Branichevo dr
      Ignatije and lowersigned Bishop of Bachka dr Irinej."

      ("Politika", Saturday 29 Jule 2000.)