WWW Hoaxes

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      Dear Listmates,

      Having received numerous hoaxes in the past few days, I'm
      sending this to all my e-penpals and list.

      When you receive e-mail urging you to "send this to all your friends"
      it probably is a hoax. Always check these out at one of the hoax-
      busting sites (below). Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it
      probably is. If it is a dire warning of terrible things happening to
      good people, it probably is a hoax. If a child with cancer (or some
      other dread disease or injury) wants lots of e-mails, it probably is a
      hoax.

      The ones warning of people who will steal your kidneys (or other
      bodily organs) while you are under the influence of a Mickey Finn
      are hoaxes. The ones detailing bizzare but believable stories of
      kidnappings, assaults, rapes, robberies, etc, are well-intentioned,
      but mostly untrue. Even the print and AV media have unwittingly
      perpetuated hoaxes.

      It is important that we, the citizens of the Internet community act
      responsibly and quash these to preserve bandwidth. (Each post
      takes up a certain amount of "space" on the electromagnetic
      spectrum of the internet. You know how things "bog down" from
      time to time? That's over-use of the band width.)

      Here are some sites for checking out hoaxes:

      http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/xintelaol.html
      http://skepdic.com/tifraud.html
      http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/
      http://www.snopes.com/

      Here are some sites for checking out virus warnings:

      http://kumite.com/myths/
      http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/
      http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/
      http://www.mcafee.com/

      There are many more checking sites "out there," these are just the
      ones I find most helpful and useful.

      Please do check out any and all suspect posts before sending
      them on. If a post is untrue, please delete it and don't perpetuate
      the hoax!!

      Cheerio!

      Elizabeth

      Elizabeth ("Windy") Riggs