Edward the Aethling

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Patrick, down in South Carolina, asked me about a book about Edward the
      Exile. I have found it. I think I posted information about it to the wrong
      list. If I have made it public here, forgive me. I'm old!

      The book Patrick referenced, I think, is: The Lost King of England, The East
      European Adventures of Edward the Exile. Written by Gabriel Ronay, it was
      published by The Boydell Press, Woodbridge, Englanfd, 1989.

      Edward the Aethling was the last de jure king of Anglo-Saxon England. He
      was the nephew of King St. Edward the Confessor.

      According to Ronay, he was brought up by his mother's sister, who was married
      to Yaoslav the Wise, the Great Prince of Kiev. Adam of Bremen, the
      archbishop of Hamburg,is adduced as proof. In his Gesta Hammaburgensis
      Ecclesiae Pontificarum (see the above book, p. 53), Adam of Bremen says:
      "Edmund, a warlike man, was removed by means of poison from the way of the
      victor (Canute), and his sonswere condemned to banishment in Russia."

      So, the last of the Saxon kings had an Orthodox upbringing, in an Orthodox
      country, at an Orthodox royal court. He married a daughter of Andrew the
      Catholic, king of the Magyars, and produced an heir: St. Margaret of
      Scotland who, though she is a Western Saint, had probably never heard of the
      papal schism in 1054. Moreover, her saintly qualities are legendary, and
      King Malcolm, III, the last man standing in Shakespeare's MacBeth, loved
      her dearly.

      trust this is the answer Patrick was seeking.

      Father Andrew