Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: National media and Palestine.

  • Rachel Peters
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2000

      I agree that there are atrocities committed by the Israelis, but you
      failed to mention the under reported atrocities committed by the
      Palestinians. Both sides are equally henious IMO.

      Here is a recent example. Do you know about toddler Shalev? A
      Palestinian officer in a shoot out with the Israelis comes across a car
      - notices a child in it, passes by but then later returns and hurls a
      grenade into the car. An innocent child - not a soldier. The child
      nearly dies, but survives with disfiguring burns all over her 2 year
      old body. Did you hear about this in the papers?

      These incidents are common to both sides and I think we need to protest
      all violence on all sides. Do not forget that it is Palestinian
      Authority that is responsible for the current situation with the ROCOR
      monasteries/convents. Palestinians routinely fail to live up to their
      side of the peace agreements. This is not acceptable. They really hurt
      their just cause by such actions. Nazi era anti-semitic tracts commonly
      used in Arab propaganda don't exactly help either.

      On the Jewish side, they need to accept that the Palestinians have a
      legitimate cause and do have a claim to Jerusalem. They have no right
      to be in the occupied territories. They also need to face their history
      and acknowledge that they did an evil deed to the Palestinian people
      when they took over the land. The bottom line is that there are sizable
      populations of both Arab and Israeli Jew and they are both there to
      stay. How it came to be that way is beyond the point since given the
      violence of both sides, all have their hands bloodied. It is beyond who
      is originally right (the Arabs IMO).

      We should refuse aid to both Israel and the Palestinian Authority until
      they both get their act together.

      Jews call me an anti-semite and Arabs call me a Jew lover. I guess you
      can't win when you want real justice.

      In Christ,
      sinner, Katina

    • LJames6034@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2000
        You're right, there's no winning.

        The Jewish writer who EMailed me about contacts in Palestine has responded.
        She says my suggestions "sound interesting," and she will "follow them up."

        OK. My concern was to get some national coverage for what is happening to
        ROCA in Palestine. That Sister Maria has such an interestingly connected
        brother (at leat one of them is!) is frosting on the cake.

        With reference to Palestine, there's a story which is told. It's about a
        mouse who is asked by a scorpion to ferry it across a river. The mouse says:
        "No, you would sting me."

        The scorpion answers: "If I were to sting you, we would both die. What
        sense would be made by that?"

        The mouse, seeing the logic of that, allows the scorpion to get onto its
        back. Half way across, the scorpion does sting the mouse. As they are both
        sinking, the mouse asks: "Why have you done this?"

        The scorpion answers: "Because this is the Middle East!"

        Yes, there are atrocities on both sides.

        Father Andrew
      • Elias Harb
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2000
          There has been on occasions terrorist attacks against Israelis by
          Extremist Palestinians acting out of the never ending despair . I am
          against terrorism but Injustice, violence (STATE SPONSORED TERRORISM BY
          ISRAELI GOVERNMENT), lack of solution, despair breeds extremism.
          Please do not compare Palestinian stubble with Israelis crime against the
          Palestinians. In 1920 , the Palestinians made up 92% of the population of
          Palestine. The Fact is that a horrible crime has been committed against the
          Palestinian People. people driven out of their homes, land confiscation,
          millions of refugees driven out of their homes, massacres against villages
          (example Deir Yassin) Houses being blown up. teenagers shot, many of the
          Israeli cities were built over Palestinian villages . There are millons of
          Palestinan refugees in Lebanon , Syria, and Jordian and they are Muslims
          and Christians.

          In Christ
          Elias

          http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

        • pwrbarrett@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2000
            In a message dated 7/12/2000 8:20:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            rpeters@... writes:

            << Jews call me an anti-semite and Arabs call me a Jew lover. I guess you
            can't win when you want real justice. >>

            At the very least, you rarely get what you want.

            Patrick W. R. Barrett

            "The Southerner, who isn't convinced of it,
            is very much afraid that he may have been
            formed in the image and likeness of God."

            - Flannery O'Connor